Normal for Rugged Ridge SYE? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Normal for Rugged Ridge SYE?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Normal for Rugged Ridge SYE?

I installed a Rugged Ridge SYE about 2-3 weeks ago, and all went well for the most part. I had to go back under the Jeep to rotate my speedometer gear last week, and noticed that I had a large amount of surface rust on the driveshaft yoke. Anyone else had this issue? I know its superficial, but I am a little surprised it happened this quickly considering the Jeep stays in a garage and has not seen any rain or water.

As a comparison, here is a pic of an unpainted boom shackle that was mounted a couple of weeks before the SYE, and it has very little (if any) surface rust.

In fact, the boom shackles have virtually no rust on them at all, whereas the RR yoke is covered. Is this normal?

jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

normal...if rust worries you, paint it with some Rustoleum Hammered
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe there is more heat cycles on the sye then the shackle? That will make surface rust appear faster
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

it's the humidity (late June in GA)... and those booms to me DO look like they have paint on them - they're black same as your springs... you can see the bolt head has a little surface rust around the edge where your wrench shipped through some of the paint.

you can either paint the yoke, or do what I do... put a dab of grease on your finger and put a super-thin coating all over the yoke and CV housing
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rattlecan.
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
and those booms to me DO look like they have paint on them - they're black same as your springs...
No, the shackles have not been painted, i believe its just the lighting in the pic that makes them look black.

I probably clean it up a bit and hit it with a few coats when I paint the 8.8 in the rear.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.