noob questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > noob questions

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
sig81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

noob questions

I've read through some of the faqs but didnt get exactly what I was looking for. I have a 92 or 93 wrangler 4cyl and I am looking for a lift kit. I would prefer to buy it as an entire package. can anyone tell what to companies to stay away from and what to look for in a kit? also eventually I am going to swap the 4 for a 6 cylinder. I am looking for a 4.5 lift not really looking to go any higher unless you guys think it would be wise to do so. I plan on taking it to some local trails and thats pretty much it. it is not a daily although I have been driving it everyday for the past week. oh and the front and rear diffs are coming out as well going to go with a dana 44 or ford 8.8. which vehicles can these be pulled from?

sig81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
stilltippin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think BDS makes the best suspension for the price.. and I 'd stay away from rough country- they seem pretty hit or miss- even though the warranty is very good.
Matt
Low Output Member #44
"There's a NEW Mexico?" -Mr Burns
stilltippin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
sig81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilltippin View Post
I think BDS makes the best suspension for the price.. and I 'd stay away from rough country- they seem pretty hit or miss- even though the warranty is very good.
Matt
good thing I asked before I bought because I was looking at rough country
Unread 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
zholcomb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Go with a 5" BDS lift! If possible you should piece the lift together.
zholcomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

go to the start page, down at the bottom is the review section, tons of info on lifts.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You need to take a breath and start over.

What size tires are you going to run?
What kind of wheeling do you do?
Unread 08-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
sig81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zholcomb View Post
Go with a 5" BDS lift! If possible you should piece the lift together.
I was wanting a 4.5 but the 5" lift is cheaper for some reason. so I am going with that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
go to the start page, down at the bottom is the review section, tons of info on lifts.
going to check it out now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You need to take a breath and start over.

What size tires are you going to run?
What kind of wheeling do you do?
I plan on 33's due to the fact that is what will fit with the lift height. dont know what kind of wheeling I'm going to do honestly. I just want to get into some mud and see what happens. I dont plan on driving the jeep around town its just a toy. I am new to this kind of thing. I came from front wheel drive turbo cars and that got boring so I am looking to get into some other expensive hobby.
Unread 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
zholcomb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You will need new Boomerang shackles to go along with the BDS 5" lift to clear the military wraps
zholcomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Choose tires first then the lift height. Not the other way around
Unread 08-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like you'd be better off selling the YJ and buying one with a 6cyl in it already, as you're looking at a lot of work there and money also if you don't weld. Besides choosing tire size and then lift you will need to look at axles also. You can get 33"s without going for 4.5-5" of lift. It's called LCOG (Low Center Of Gravity). 3"s of suspension lift with 5/8 boomerangs and a 1" BL will pretty much get you there. Then you can also do things like Anticanman and get those spendy MetalCloaks that will give you extra room for travel without going higher.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
sig81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zholcomb View Post
You will need new Boomerang shackles to go along with the BDS 5" lift to clear the military wraps
I will have to look into these boomerang shackles you speak of. I have not heard of these before. figured whatever would be needed in a lift kit would be supplied

Quote:
Choose tires first then the lift height. Not the other way around
I was set on 4.5 lift but bds 5" lift was cheaper. I saw somewhere that 33's would fit from like 1.5-5" lift. I could be wrong on that as I am taking in alot of info on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
sounds like you'd be better off selling the YJ and buying one with a 6cyl in it already, as you're looking at a lot of work there and money also if you don't weld. Besides choosing tire size and then lift you will need to look at axles also. You can get 33"s without going for 4.5-5" of lift. It's called LCOG (Low Center Of Gravity). 3"s of suspension lift with 5/8 boomerangs and a 1" BL will pretty much get you there. Then you can also do things like Anticanman and get those spendy MetalCloaks that will give you extra room for travel without going higher.
if i am unhappy with the 4cyl I will swap something else in there. not a big deal small block chevys are a dime a dozen. I can also weld I am a pipefitter by trade and my friend has a welder plus he does some pretty good fab work. he actually knows more about trucks and such than I do he has just been busy working lately. I am pretty car saavy just dont know much about jeeps at all. its usually lowering not lifting. from what I have read so far a 4cyl will be ok for the most part just cant bigger than the ford 8.8 and 33's. not sure about driveshafts though. mine does have a bit of play so that will need some attention soon. any suggestions?
Unread 08-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

So you're set on 33's then? 5" is way too much lift for that size tire especially since you don't know how much articulation you require.
Unread 08-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
sig81
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So you're set on 33's then? 5" is way too much lift for that size tire especially since you don't know how much articulation you require.
not dead set on 33's. I was dead set on a 4.5 lift and 33's were the suggested tire size for the lift. I am guessing that the tire size could be bigger if I cut the fenders which is what I think you are suggesting. I am completely open to suggestions from you guys. how would I know how much articulation I need? I have never been wheelin before so I am just guessing right now.
Unread 08-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

My suggestion to save a lot of headaches is to pick a tire size and build the jeep around that. It all revolves around tires. Do you have a sawzall? Do you have any aversion to using it on your jeep to make your tires fit? Let's just say 33" tires are what you're shooting for so you'll need maybe 2.5" of spring lift and either a body lift or that pesky sawzall to make some tj flares worthwhile. Here's a link to consider for clearance up front.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...enders-1087408

Just remember that a little cutting can go a long way. My tires in this pic are 36's and I would have to say that my jeep doesn't look like a hack job. Not the cleanest in the world but not the worst I've seen.

Unread 08-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
exactly. You also need to consider regearing for the HUGE power loss you will notice going to 33's. Also consider the weaker rear axle. big lift means new brake lines, SYE, drive shaft, shims.

Depending how much money you want to spend and how much work you can do, it might be a better bet to get a ford 8.8 and just go spring over axle for your lift.

Seriously take a breather and check some stuff out, nothing sucks more than having to spend money twice or working yourself into a corner.

I run a 2.5" rough country lift, no issues, is it as nice as a BDS lift? No idea, never had one. is it better than my stock spings, sure is. I run 31's and have plenty of room for 33's, even 35's (also have 1" shackle and 1" body).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.