Noob axle question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Noob axle question

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Noob axle question

Hey all..

I've had my yj about a year and was looking to put in a new rear. I don't know what gear ratio i currently have though. I have an 88 4.2L I6 engine with the AX-15 tranny and NP231 transfer. currently running 33x12.5 tires and can get into 5th gear while driving most of the time and stay at a steady rpm. any idea how to find out my gearing/locker set up?

thanks

[COLOR="Navy"]US Navy Jeep Club Hull# 231[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Maritime Offroading Club[/COLOR]
killakeane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I mean, the stock set up is 3.07 gearing with an open differential yeah?
If you need confirmation then open it up!
seeing as you want a new rear, I'd only open the front,
as the old rear gearing doesn't really matter, as it's going to be replaced.

when you crack it open it'll look like this-

well close....
this is a 35, the rear, with 4.10 gearing.
so on yours spin the ring gear until you can see the last numbers (mine is 37/9)
divide (36 goes into nine four times with 1/9 remaining, which is 4.1 with a repeating decimal, the closest ratio to that is 4.10)
should be 3.07
then look at your differential,
if it looks like this:

it's open.
if not, then describe or take a picture, then we can tell you what it is, if you don't recognize it.
Project #1- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/5-0-yj-right-way-1799609/
flipit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Answer is in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) sticky thread, in the stock specs area.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-specs-563403/
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dana 35 , gear ratio , help needed , locker , noob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.