Noisy Lifters 2.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Noisy Lifters 2.5

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Noisy Lifters 2.5

I've searching for a write up about fixing the issue, I'm not to motor savy (I am until it comes to taking it apart) but would like to attempt this. My 2.5 sounds like a diesel and I have done all kinds of stuff recommended on here, different oil, different weight oil, oil additives, etc. Nothing seems to work, has anyone seen a write up or can explain what all I will need and the process?

Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is the noise that bad you're wanting to blow your brains out?

Also I wouldn't think having noisy lifters is the only reason it'd sound like a diesel. If it does sound like a diesel, you probably have a lot of other things wrong.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No they aren't that loud I just figure if I have to pull the valve cover I might as well look into quieting them down some.
Unread 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Can I do anything to help quiet them down?
Unread 06-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
malone_ge
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Change you oil and use 1 qt of Marvel Mystery Oil and 3 qts motor oil.
malone_ge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
hicketts
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When I bought my 91 with a 2.5 about two years ago it sounded like a diesel so I decided to do just the lifters, rockers and caps and it sounded so much quieter when done. It would have taken about 3 hours all said and done but when I pulled the valve cover off it was super sludged. I have worked on motors for years, every thing from bikes to big diesel combines and I have never seen one so bad. It took about 3 hours just to get the lifters out of the motor due to all the sludge and gunk. I put it back together and it wasn't like brand new but it sounded great for a jeep.

New parts used
Lifters
Rockers
Caps
Valve cover gasket
Unread 06-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I use MMO on every other oil change, might try doing a engine flush before I go replacing things. Maybe since I will have the valve cover off I will clean all of that as well.
Unread 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
hicketts
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Someone else I am sure will bash me on this, but when you have the valve cover off drain the oil and leave the drain plug out. Then you could try spraying carb cleaner or brake cleaner down along the lifter rods and let it soak into the lifters let it sit and repeat alot then let dry. Then reassemble and fill with oil and then try it.
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
venturazero
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is your lifter noise constant or kinda hit and miss? Front or back? If you pull your valve cover, run it for a few seconds and see where the main problem is. The problem is lack of oil flow... to your hydraulic lifters or tappets. Changing oil and everything else is not going to fix it. How many miles do you have on your jeep and is your oil pressure good or constant? Once you have that figured out.. I'm sure the 91 isn't too different from the 93, I can tell you what your going to have to do in order to get her back right. Hopefully there is no other issues with the jeep..top end or bottom end wise and it will not be that big a deal and depending on your mechanical ability, you can have it back up and running in a day or a weekend. No special tools required aside from one telescopic pencil magnet.
venturazero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The noise is constant, well I cant hear it while I'm driving but its not as bad at first start but once it warms up louder. Oil pressure is good, right under 40 cold and around 20 warm. Miles, almost 200K, gonna pull the cover tomorrow and see how it looks, hopefully not too bad
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
venturazero
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As it gets warmer...hmm.. sounds like a stuck or stopped up lifter. I don't know your mechanical ability or anyone elses reading this so I will try and keep it simple.

A hydraulic lifter or hydraulic "tappet" rides on top of the cam lobes and is below the pushrods. The purpose of a lifter is to transfer the cam lobe lift to the pushrod to push up on the rocker arm and open the valves. As the name implies, the hydraulic lifter uses the compression of oil in to take up the slack between the tip of the pushrod and rocker arm. As the engine heats up and the metal expands, the distance between the tip of the pushrod and the bottom of the rocker arm would increase. The oil helps take up that slack and keep it in a constant range so there is on lash or gap between the rocker arm and push rod, even as the temp and RPM's increase. The hydraulic lifter is made of mulitiple parts. Basically there is an outer shell and a inner plunger, sorta like a piston in a engine block. As the outer shell rides on the cam, the inner part is more like a shock absorber keeping a certain amount of tension on the pushrod. If your still kinda fuzzy on what it is, here is a link to a visual demonstartion of how it works: YouTube - hydraulic tappets (hydraulic lifters)

Now what happens is the oil galleries start to built up with oil sludge or foreign materials will stop up the oil galleries, the ports on the lifters, or varnish gums up the inner workings of the lifter and they fail to keep that tension against the push rod which is against the lifter.... so you get a gap... or in our case.. the dreaded tick.... As your engine gets warmer... more expansion... more gap... more or more noticable ticking. Nothing major...just a part failing to do its designed job. What will this do? Wear out the tips of your pushrods, break rocker arms, prematurealy wear out camshaft lobes.

How do you correct this problem. Well, that will all depend on how deep you have to go into it or your amount of money or time. It basically comes down to cleaning your engine out and either cleaning/rebuilding lifters or replacing lifters.

I won't go into the whole process yet, cuz it's sorta long but if you are sure you are going that route, I'll do a write up on what to do.
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man, a write up would be nice just to have on here since there is not one already and this seems to be an issue with jeeps. I'm gonna break into it later today and see what I can do. Thanks again..
Unread 06-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so dropped the oil pan after i did a flush and the oil pump screen was clean. With the valve cover off and the motor idling the sounds seem to be coming from a different location, maybe the timing chain?
Unread 06-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
venturazero
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do you still have the same noise? Or is it actually at a different location in the engine? Did you pull the lifters out? At 200k the timing chain is a possiblilty. Could be the tensioner on it wore out. It may be worth going into it and seeing if the chain isn't wore or the teeth or wore on the cam and crankshaft gears. Not knowing whether or not anyone has been into the engine, makes a great deal of difference. I took off my timing chain cover and I could see that someone had been into it before. The oil slinger on the crankshaft was missing. You can pull the cover and there should be a spring loaded tensioner at the bottom of the chain and a soild guide on the cover. May be gone or missing causing the chain to hit or slap. I would try my best to isolate where the noise is coming from. You could use the ol' broom stick to the ear and put it agains different locations on the front, but it would be still hard to dignois. After I cleaned and changed my cam out... I had lifter tap for a short period until it cleared out and pumped up the lifters good. After that, mine has been fine. It's very hard to diganois a sound, but a lifter would be extremely noticable with the valve cover off.

Last edited by venturazero; 06-15-2010 at 10:06 PM..
Unread 06-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea sounds like the front but I don't feel anything while pressing a screwdriver on the timing chain cover. I picked up a 2.5 and AX-5 (with low miles)from a buddy out of a 95 and will probably just be doing a swap soon.. I def need to swap out the tranny but since it came with everything, sensors, ECM, etc I might as well just swap it completely over..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.