Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

noisy bearing

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  LordEnki 
#1 ·
I have a bearing gone bad. Its very annoying, but I don't know which one it is and would like to figure it out before I take the beast apart. With tranny in neutral and the clutch out its a loud whirring. When I step on the clutch pedal it stops. Which bearing could this be? All help is appreciated. Thanks.

#9 ·
The throwout bearing should spin all the time. Its prob making a noise when its not loaded. When you press the clutch in it applies pressure to the bearing and puts a load on it. Ive had several cars with noisy throwout bearings. I havnt replaced one yet but that doesnt mean it wont fail on you. Mine were not a loud noise just a bit annoying. All clutch kits ive seen had a throwout bearing included. I cant see replacing just the bearing if you are going to pull the tranny, I would go ahead and do some preventative maintance and replace the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throw out bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.