Noise versus Carpet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Noise versus Carpet

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-15-2002, 05:58 AM   #1
highway jeeper

Noise versus Carpet

87 YJ

Anyone have any experience going from no carpet to carpet, and can you tell me if there is any reduction in road noise?

I am looking at a carpet kit, but currently running with nothing.

I know a lot of you are off roaders, so this question is really for the few, the unproud, the ones who can only dream of mud.

Seriously though - the carpets are like $140, so I want to make sure I am not kidding myself thinking the truck will be quieter - I know, it a Jeep, but I go a 100 miles a day!

MP

highway jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 06:58 AM   #2
warf

i also have a 87 jeep yj and it had carpet in it when i bought it but i will tell you something man i took my carpet out and could not tell that much of a difference i was going to clean it and put it back in but with what i have experinece just by putting my floor mats down on the bare floor. you will enjoy that just as much as carpet.
Unread 02-15-2002, 07:37 AM   #3
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

Its a Jeep, there isnt much you can do to make it quieter. But it will help a bit. You can also get carpet padding, or the rubber floor to put under the carpet. That will help some too.

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 08:45 AM   #4
Bob K

Definitely carpet if you want a quieter commute. The carpet not only insulates noise from the drivetrain and tires, it is even more effective in reducing the harmonics bouncing around inside the Jeep.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 10:44 AM   #5
JeeperJay

I didn't notice a noise difference with or without carpet. The factory carpet is pretty thin so I don't think it would make much difference either way. If you're looking for replacement carpet to reduce noise you should probably look for some with plenty of padding, that'll also hold in the heat better in the winter.
Unread 02-15-2002, 12:08 PM   #6
Skeeter

The only way to effectivly quiet a Jeep is damping pads or a pamping spray. I own a audio shop and we do this a lot to jeeps! If you put carpet on top of the pamping panels it will then make a difference. Carpet alone is not going to help much. Altough they do make really nice heavy backed carpet now for jeeps. 4WD has some, about 200.00 bucks. If you need info e-mail me at auto.sound@snet.net, and i'll help you out.
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 11:20 PM   #7
jeepinarkansas
1982 CJ8 

Forget that $140 you would spend every 2 years. Spend $99 and get a herculiner kit...it will last forever.

Herculiner, the poors man Rhino-Liner
jeepinarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 11:56 PM   #8
SFM1AE2

I'm in the process of preping my tub for the heculiner right now. Once its done I don't know if I'll go back to carpet. If I do I'll put plenty of padding cause it won't matter if it gets wet. Heculiner = no rust...ever
Unread 02-16-2002, 02:00 AM   #9
Billy Badass

Well from my personal experiece, carpet is the way to go with a hercule liner undernieth it that will reduce the noise greatly, carpet only reduces the noise if it is the good kind, if not then it will not help much, the hurcule liner will allow you to yank out your carpet if you decide to trash it through the mud on the week end, and still have a floor that you can get traction on. It will also allow you to spray out your jeep with the hose to clean it. Either way you go get the ggod carpet or the hurcle kit or both. But don't be cheap if you want a noise reduction.

Later

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Billy Badass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.