noise from piston rods (video) & advice on what to do... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > noise from piston rods (video) & advice on what to do...

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

noise from piston rods (video) & advice on what to do...

So I finally dropped the oil pan to replace the gasket & see if I could find the knocking noise from the bottom end and I found the source of the noise...It is the end of the piston rod that attaches to the crankshaft. I can grab the rod cap and wiggle it side to side. I believe all but one of them will wiggle like that. Here is a video of what it looks like:

[YT]x1p2RYwtgLU[/YT]

The quality of the video isn't that good, but what is happening is the rod is sliding left and right on the crankshaft journal maybe 1/16" but there doesn't appear to be any up and down movement or play from the rod on the crankshaft.

So how do I determine if I just put it back together or replace the rod bearings...or go ahead & start the dreaded rebuild? I've never used plastiguage since high school shop class & can't remember how to use it to check...Advice???

Unread 04-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
df19087
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you have that much play side to side I would imagine it has some play up and down too. Sot sure if you have to rebuild or jusr replace rod bearings though
df19087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

alright yall here is another video.

[YT]eXYj5aPBe-8[/YT]

All of them do this and I also can see that if I grab the rod cap & try to twist it, I can see the piston head move about 1/16" to 1/32", just barely moving. I've tried to move it up & down to see if there is any play that way and I can't identify any up & down play, just the side to side movement.

Is this amount of play normal for a motor w/ 145,000 mi? I don't really have money to spend on it right now, but I do already have the transmission out & everything.

Put it back together & drive it?
Replace the rod bearings?
Pull the motor & rebuilt it?

I need someone who knows what they're looking at to look at it & advise me on what to do...any help?
Unread 04-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

I can tell you that the manual wil have the specs on side to side clearance. Yours sounds HIGH.
Connecting Rods
Total Weight (Less Bearing) . . . . . .657 to 665 grams
(23.17 to 23 .45 oz.)
Length (Center-to-Center) . . . . . 155.52 to 155 .62 mm
(6.123 to 6 .127 in.)
Piston Pin Bore Diameter . . . . . . .23.59 to 23 .62 mm
(0.9288 to 0.9298 in.)
Bore (Less Bearings) . . . . . . . . . . .56.08 to 56.09 mm
(2.2080 to 2.2085 in.)
Bearing Clearance. . . . . . . . . . . . .0.025 to 0.076 mm
(0.001 to 0.003 in.)
Bearing Clearance (Preferred) . . . .0.044 to 0.050 mm
(0.0015 to 0.0020 in.)
Side Clearance . .0.25 to 0.48 mm (0.010 to 0.019 in.)
Twist (Max.) . .0.001 mm per mm (0.001 in. per inch)
Bend Max.) . .0.001 mm per mm (0 .001 in. per inch.)
Unread 04-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

here is what I'm thinking...I don't want to spend $150 on rod bearings and put a band-aid on the problem. If I'm going to spend some $ I want to do it all, and right, which pretty much means $1000+ rebuild. Since I don't really need to spend that kind of money right now and my oil pressure has been normal, I'm thinking I should just put it all back together and wait for it to have to be rebuilt. Maybe I'll get lucky and I can get another year or two out of it and then spend the money and rebuilt it all... and do it right...

Anybody else want to chime in???
Unread 04-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would install a new set of rod bearings and a new oil pump along with a rms while it is open.
New bearings are cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-J...Q5fAccessories

You will have to determine what size you needstandard, 10 under etc.
Could be a cheap fix or you may find that it is worse than you thought but at least you will know.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
I would install a new set of rod bearings and a new oil pump along with a rms while it is open.
New bearings are cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-Jeep-Rod-Bearing-Set-3-8-4-0-4-2L-1964-90-BB612J030_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2e l1116QQhashZitem290298556735QQitemZ290298556735QQp tZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You will have to determine what size you needstandard, 10 under etc.
Could be a cheap fix or you may find that it is worse than you thought but at least you will know.

Dwayne
I agree. A rod or even a main bearing swap out is quite doable as long as you see no deep scarring on the rod journals or the crank. I would go with std size bearings UNLESS this crank has already been turned down before. They have #'s on them. Keep in mind that the bearings are a sacrificial item in the lower end of an engine.
Do the RMS, and think about doing a new oil pump also along with the bearings.

Before you do the tear down, warm up the engine, shut it down add one qt kerosene to your oil, fire her up and let it run for 5 minutes AT IDLE. Shut her down let it drain well.Then dump the base and do your lower end work.

You can clean up the crank if it has minor scarring with crocus cloth. Do it wet not dry.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)

Last edited by laybackman; 04-04-2009 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: more information in red
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.