Noise Help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Noise Help!!

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
95YJRusso
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Noise Help!!

I have a 95 2.5 with a 5 speed. 217K miles. I went to a mechanic and got the diagnosis that my throwout bearing was bad. So i replaced the clutch (complete kit) last night and the metallic clanging noise that led me to believe that the throwout bearing was bad is still here. Long story short I have checked to make sure it was not any of the accessories by pulling the belt and running it for a few minutes. Also the flywheel teeth look fine. The noise seems to be coming from the rear if the engine. Past the bell-housing for sure. Anyone have any ideas what it can be? Also when i shut the key off and the engine whines down there is a large metallic clang as soon as it stops.

95YJRusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it's maybe the input shaft to the tcase or maybe the rear mani bearing. I am not the strongest on the mechanical side so here is a bump for the day shift guys.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
rtillery34
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just started hearing the same thing in my 4.2 with the crappy ba 15/5! Any and all ideas would be appreciated greatly!
rtillery34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Check for slack in the transfer case chain.

Also, there is a mount attached to the transmission that supports the exhaust system. It tends to crack in half, and can cause clanging noises with throttle and speed changes. If it is broken, you will only know by getting under the jeep with a strong flashlight and grabbing and moving the exhaust in that area. It hardly moves, but will still cause noise.
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
95YJRusso
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, ill check them out. I guess I should have replaced the input shaft when I did the clutch last week! ops
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
95YJRusso
1995 YJ Wrangler 

rtillery34 I found out that my starter was stuck engaged and that blew out the bearing in the starter causing an awful racket. I took it off and pop started it to make sure it was really the problem and I had no noise, ran like a dream. try that and see how it goes. cheapest place to start it seems
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
rtillery34
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YJRusso
rtillery34 I found out that my starter was stuck engaged and that blew out the bearing in the starter causing an awful racket. I took it off and pop started it to make sure it was really the problem and I had no noise, ran like a dream. try that and see how it goes. cheapest place to start it seems
I thought that may also be the problem! I did take it off and inspect it but didn't think about pop starting it to see if that was actually what's causing the noise. Thanks ill try that!
rtillery34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.