no-wax paint? on a 1992 wrangler? wth is this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > no-wax paint? on a 1992 wrangler? wth is this?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-21-2001, 07:40 PM   #1
iamthemellowman

no-wax paint? on a 1992 wrangler? wth is this?

ok, i found a jeep, everything checks out and it's what i want, except what is this no-wax paint thing?

My guesses are that in '92 jeep came out with a 'spectacular clear coat' that 'needed no wax'. And over the years the shiny finish turned to a flat /satin look?

or, the paint was satin to begin with,

now, how the heck does this work? with no wax means no protection from either rain/rust/salt/or stains. how can you keep this thing clean? anyone with this paint.. it's a tan color. What should the course of action be for someone acquiring this vehicle. buff the shiznit out of it , or is there a treatment that works well to keep it safe? (mostly worried about rust)

is there a good page that explains what jeep was thinking then?

thanx,
-Tim

Unread 06-22-2001, 12:13 PM   #2
helter

Sounds like that's what my Jeep had - I never knew it - I bought it used - I thought the paint was just burned out. I just got it painted at Maaco.

I'm curious now - did I throw out a good thing?
Unread 06-23-2001, 03:38 AM   #3
JeepinMan22

hey.....i too have the 92' wrangler.. didnt know about the no wax thing...im sure its just a sales pitch...all paint needs wax. anyway, when i bougt my used wrangler, it was almost pink... a really dull red. Since im into car detailing it was no big deal, just used some 3m finess it 2....3m machine polish, and a good carnuba wax, mothers makes a good one. i also used a buffer. It turned out great!! its like a rolling business card!! anymore questions email me.. or if your in tn, bring it by, ill treat ya right!!

good luck
mike
Unread 06-27-2001, 05:02 AM   #4
92YJ

i have a 92 YJ and had the same problem. All cleaner waxes rub off paint a little. I but some mother's wax with no cleaners and it works great. The only thing that sucks though is its about 25 bucks a can. But anyways, that should solve your problems.
92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2001, 07:26 PM   #5
Tristar Racing

Ok, heres the deal. In 1992, Jeep had 2 special colors that came with a dull finish. The colors were green and tan. Most of the cars with these colors were Saharas. I knowbecause I have a tan Sahara. I get compliments on it all the time, it looks great especially at night when street lights hit the flake in the paint and the car "glows." Do I know why Jeep did these two "limited edition" colors? No...but many have opinions. THe one I agree with is the flat colors are to honor the men and women that served in desert storm....

by the way the colors were availible only in 1992.
Tristar Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2001, 04:00 AM   #6
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok, heres the deal. In 1992, Jeep had 2 special colors that came with a dull finish. The colors were green and tan. Most of the cars with these colors were Saharas. I knowbecause I have a tan Sahara. I get compliments on it all the time, it looks great especially at night when street lights hit the flake in the paint and the car "glows." Do I know why Jeep did these two "limited edition" colors? No...but many have opinions. THe one I agree with is the flat colors are to honor the men and women that served in desert storm....
Partially correct. There were actually three color's that were considered "Limited Editions." The official names were Steel Blue Low Gloss Metallic, Sage Green Low Gloss Metallic and Sand Beige Low Gloss Metallic. These colors are done without a clear coat and don't require waxing. The paint is actually course because of the lack of a clear coat. Waxes and polishes will remove the texture and cause the paint to not me "low gloss" anymore.

The Sage was available on Wrangler, Base and Sahara models. Sand was only available on Base and Sahara model's and blue was only available on Base models.

Taking care of the paint takes more work. After a while the paint will look oxidized and will stay that way even after washing. Water spots will appear too. have found that Protectant 2001 brings back the original color without damaging it.

Oh yeah, I'm an original owner of a Sage Green Low Gloss Metallic YJ. One of the best colors Jeep had ever used. Second to OD Green.
Unread 07-04-2001, 05:36 PM   #7
Tristar Racing

Well, according to mopar and my paint code, it is aclear coat. That andI have no problems with oxidation.
Tristar Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2001, 03:57 AM   #8
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristar Racing:
Well, according to mopar and my paint code, it is aclear coat. That andI have no problems with oxidation.
The color codes should be, Sand Beige Low Gloss - LJ1(PJ1) and Sage Green Low Gloss - LG1(PG1). For those who don't know there is a tag on the firewall with the color code. If there was a clear coat then you should be able to buff the paint without any problems because a clear coat will fill in the valleys in the finish and it would be smooth. The low gloss looks to almost be a dry process with a slight texture.
Unread 05-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #9
lles

so my question is, can i wax my sage paint? what will happen if i do. will it get blotchy? here is anther question. i picked up my new 92 sahara edition, 132,000 original miles entirely un upgraded jeep at a garage sale yesterday for $2250.00 with a few rust spots in the typical spots. runs great, was this a fair price.
lles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2006, 07:17 AM   #10
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helter
Sounds like that's what my Jeep had - I never knew it - I bought it used - I thought the paint was just burned out. I just got it painted at Maaco.

I'm curious now - did I throw out a good thing?
That's ok because soon the Maaco paint will fall of and the original paint will be back.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #11
smokeybear
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Let's hear it for Sage Green Low Gloss! I've had people ask me if I painted it myself. Don't know if that's a compliment or not! When I bought mine, it had years of crap baked onto the hood. Elbow grease and soap didn't take it off. I used a little Maguires cleaning wax on it, and it took off the crap. Left the paint low gloss but with a little "glow" to it. That eventually wore off, so it looks pretty uniform from panel to panel now. I found I really liked the low gloss driving into the sun. Even with the little glow of the waxed hood, the sun's reflection was sometimes painful. Don't get that with the unwaxed low gloss.
Unread 05-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #12
jsahara24
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have the sage green low gloss, definitely doesn't need wax.

The low gloss makes it look more like a jeep than the high gloss colors... IMO
Unread 05-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #13
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've only seen another Jeep the same color a few times ever. They are rare, especially the Sage Green's. Total, I've seen 4 since they came out. Offasionally, I'll see pictures of one on the Internet.

The 'glow' is from rubbing the paint too much. I've done it with a scotchpad by accident.
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
SCjeepGal
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I realize this is a very old thread but from what I gather not many jeeps have this "no clear coat" finish. My sage green 92 YJ is holding up fairly well on the sides but the hood is dull and yucky with a few dark spots. Would a clay bar maybe followed by a sealant help or make matters worse? Thanks for any advice!
SCjeepGal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #15
Sundodger
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'd like to bring this thread back up because I too own a 92 YJ with this sage green (matt) metallic color. IMO it looks really good. I want to have it repainted with the original paint color. I've read in a few posts on the internet that this is the rarest paint color on the Wranglers. Do any of you know if it's possible to purchase this original color now?
Sundodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.