no start no ecm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > no start no ecm

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
jermyjudge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

no start no ecm

Ok just to start I am new to jeep but have been working on cars all of my life. I just bought a 93 wrangler 4.0 5 speed that the last owner had decided that fuel pump had failed on. He removed the fuel pump and tank installed the new fuel pump in the tank and never reinstalled the tank. I reinstalled the tank added 5 gallons of fresh fuel and cranked it over. cranks but doesn't even try to start. still has no fuel pressure has no spark and i can't check the codes the check engine light never comes on. What wire signals the engine control module to turn on. Are there any real common issues that I should look for causing my concern.
thanks
Jeremy

jermyjudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So a search for brain surgery. From what you described it sounds like the capacitors in the ecm are bad.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
jermyjudge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i was reading about the ecm repairs but it was listed as for a 4.2 liter and posted by a guy that had a 2.5 liter in his signature so I wasn't sure if it applied to the 4.0 liter
Unread 07-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
jermyjudge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So after a lot of searching I found the cold start write up that tells you how to test for a failed pcm. during the tests I found there was no fuse in the dome space and this resolved the no check engine light. Now I hear the fuel pump prime and i have spark. the problem i am still running in to is i have no fuel pressure. I removed the filter and have no flow there either. The previous owner had remove the tank to replace the fuel pump. When i got the jeep he had cleaned the tank and installed a new sender and pump assembly but never put the tank back in. I started buy putting the tank back in and then found it would still not start. the wires on the sender didn't have a connector on them just pins. I connected the wires ar the diagram showed. orange and black to the orange on the pump blue to the brown going to the sender and the green to the ground. do i have them hooked up wrong the pump is sucking not pumping.
Unread 07-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Jumper the fuel pump wires and see if you get fuel at the engine.

If you have fuel and no spark, inspect the CranKshaft Position Sensor (CPS) wires/connectors and test the CPS for failure.

Inspect the Camshaft Position Sensor also.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
jermyjudge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I jumped the relay and the pump runs just doen't pump anything
Unread 07-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermyjudge View Post
I jumped the relay and the pump runs just doen't pump anything
Have you checked the lines? I've seen a few posts where people have pinched lines when putting the tank back in. I would also try to test the pump out of the tank to make sure it is pumping fuel. Not positive but I think I also read a similar post was somehow related to a ground.
Unread 07-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

If you have the fuel filter disconnected and no pressure from the pump, it's either a bad pump or the wires are backwards. Did the P.O change just the pump or the whole sending unit? It's possible that it's kinked but from the sounds of it you'd have seen that before posting.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.