No Start After Bad Jump Start Attempt - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No Start After Bad Jump Start Attempt

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #16
vrsoft
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up my parts today:

1 x A1 Cardone Remanufactured Distributor $93
1 x Cap $30
1 x Rotor $8

I thought the distributor assembly would come with the cap and rotor. I was wrong

I studied the FSM on the distributor removal/installation procedure the night before so I was prepared to do the work this evening. The procedure is surprisingly simple. I manually rotated the engine to 0 degrees and ensured the rotor ended up in the 5 o'clock position. Made my markings etc. Was starting to get excited at the thought that my YJ just might fire up tonight... and then came the distributor hold down bolt.

NEXT STEP(S)

Long story short, I'll be picking up a distributor wrench tomorrow so I can get the bolt off (and a new distributor gasket as I can't for the life of me find where the one in the box went - it must have fallen out as I was leaving the parts store earlier in the afternoon).

The saga continues

Last edited by vrsoft; 08-27-2013 at 09:26 AM..
vrsoft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #17
vrsoft
1993 YJ Wrangler 

By the way, my existing distributor is pretty brown and dusty on the inside. I was quite surprised actually when I pulled the cap off. I'll try to grab some comparison pics (old vs. new) to share with everyone once I get the swap-out done.
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you mark the distributor position.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #19
vrsoft
1993 YJ Wrangler 

CONCLUSION

SOLVED

Got the distributor off with a distributor wrench that I picked up on the way home today. The root cause of my issue was the camshaft position sensor was corroded and physically broken. It doesn't appear that my bad jump start was related to this ignition failure (thank goodness!)

problem.jpg

comparison.jpg

installed.jpg

Started up on the first try after the install. I feel great. I learned a TON of new stuff. Thank you everyone for your help along the way!

If anyone has questions about anything I did, or would like to see photos of the distributor removed etc (I took a bunch of photos), please don't hesitate to ask.

I really hope this thread helps someone else down the road.

Signing off, until my next post! Thanks again!
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:12 AM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That thing had water in it too! Glad to hear its working.
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #21
vrsoft
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
That thing had water in it too! Glad to hear its working.
I'm very glad too! I've been doing preparation work ever since for emissions trying to get plates back on my YJ (after 4 years of having it parked... I know, shameful!!). A little bit each evening... Tune-up and cleaning iac etc. I'll be siphoning out the old gas in the next 2 days, refilling with fresh, going for a long drive with the family and then doing the emissions test. I have a concern of oil leaking into the cylinders... So we'll. see what happens when I get the old gas out and take it from there. There will be a compression test done soon either way (my 1st one... I'm exited!

Thanks again for you help. I've been going through other posts from you, and you are really awesome to have as a connection though this forum community. You help so many people!
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:18 AM   #22
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You don't need to siphon it. Take the line going into the fuel rail off. Ron a hose I into a gas can and then jumper the fuel pump relay between 30/87. You can empty the track in a few minutes.
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #23
vrsoft
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You don't need to siphon it. Take the line going into the fuel rail off. Ron a hose I into a gas can and then jumper the fuel pump relay between 30/87. You can empty the track in a few minutes.
That's brilliant!!! ... And I know exactly how to jump the relay since I played around with it while diagnosing what turned out to be my distributor failure.

Thanks!!
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #24
vrsoft
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Worked like a charm!! I was able to use the fuel pump to out 30L of old fuel before the pump stopped pushing of out.

Piece of advice for others... Don't try to jump your ASD relay thinking it will trigger your fuel pump. I was so excited to try this technique for getting the gas out that it took me 15mins to realize that I wasn't jumping the Fuel Pump relay! (Lol)

Got fresh fuel in the tank now and Jeep is running so much better. Emissions test tomorrow, here we come!

Thanks for this trick Que89YJ!!
Unread 09-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #25
vrsoft
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Emissions test just (barely) passed. Another YJ back on the road!!

Now... on to the next project!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.