No spark to one wire. Please help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No spark to one wire. Please help.

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No spark to one wire. Please help.

So I did something pretty embarrassing, I pulled a spark plug wire to take out the plug and check its condition. I looked at the plug, put it back into its home but forgot to put the spark wire back on it... Then I started it, I immediately could hear the snapping/sparking of the wire and turned the jeep off. Now for some reason it isn't sparking... What could have caused this? All the others seem to be sparking fine, just the one that I left off for a moment. If it was hanging down and grounded to some metal would that cause it to not work? My first thought was a blown fuse but there aren't separate fuses for each plug wire is there?

I use this jeep daily, I sure hope someone can help to explain to me what could have caused this wire to stop working.

bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The high voltage coil discharge WILL find a path to ground. Usually this is the gap at the end of the spark plug. If the wire is left off, the next closest path will come into play. Could have been a crack or weak spot in the wire, then it burned through and left a carbon trace (just like a crack in a distributor cap).

Just replace the wire and see if that was your problem. Could have nailed the distributor cap, though, so that would be the next place to check if new wire doesn't fix your problem.
Unread 03-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick response. If it had by chance nailed the distributor cap wouldn't the other cylinders not be firing as well?
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaffy View Post
Thanks for the quick response. If it had by chance nailed the distributor cap wouldn't the other cylinders not be firing as well?

No. You could have burned a trace in the cap from the dead post to the next closest ground (could be another post, or the distributor housing itself). Once the path is established, you have a carbon trace, and the spark energy follows that.

Probably just the wire, though.
Your wires aren't really wire, they are a carbon embedded thread-like material. They are fragile, and can be pulled apart by tugging on them, also they crack with age.
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

While the points made by Old4X are worthy of attention this may just as well be a case of a "wet fouled" spark plug.
Irregardless of how soon you shut the engine down that plug was saturated with fuel, and still is if you have a miss.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it was just the one wire that needed replacing, thanks all.

Tags
distributor , ignition , spark , spark plug

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.