No spark,no fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No spark,no fuel pump

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
squirrley
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No spark,no fuel pump

Ok get your thinking caps on cause iam out of ideas. First, its 95 yj with 4.0.
Second, started jeep to go to store one night in the rain and the wife reminded me that the fuse for the park lights was blown. I shut off the jeep so i could unlock the tool box to get the fuses and when i finished replacing it i went to start it and i had nothing. the next day i got out my trusty rubber mallot to club on the fuel tank to see if the pump would run while the wife turned on the key. I heard not a sound. check the schreder valve on the fuel rail and no pressure. Now i got the fuel pump out and tested it by putting direct power to using the fuel pump relay. the pump works but not on start up. after doing some checking and a whole lot of reading i found that i have no spark. Checked power wires to the coil and i have nothing,yes the key was on. Now under the dash is the ignition switch that supplies power to ECM and relays etc. when you turn on the key. I unplugged this and hooked up a new one. Dont worry if you have to get out your haynes or chiltons for this one i wont tell. I just need some help on figuring this one out.

squirrley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

when you turn the key on does the check engine light come on
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
squirrley
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no
Unread 10-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

its either burned out or that is your problem. There is a thread here on how to check to be sure that the computer is the problem.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
yjman92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

this has nothing to do with the no spark issue, but i found out the power line to my fuel pump was rotted out.
yjman92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Aahzmandius
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check the engine light to see if its good, if it is, and still no light, check the pickups of the back of the gauges. Especially if your shift indicator doesn't work, shares a pickup with your Check Engine Light. Had to replace my gauges becase the pickups were corroded. Still no luck, use this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...lained-490788/
Was invaluable for me, my problem was a loose terminal.
And while you have the meter out check the power to the fuel pump.

This shows how to fix the ECM, never done it myself, but my geek friends say its the way to do it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/

Good luck squirrley, keep your stick on the ice, we're all in this together.
Aahzmandius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
squirrley
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a freind that has a 95 yj with a 2.5. if i take his PCM out and put it into my 95 yj with the 4.0 would it make everything work(fuel pump, spark) although it would probally not run the engine right? This would just ot see it the pcm is bad.
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Roadyy
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It should work and even crank it if it is the problem. The 4.0 ECM is setup for 2 more cylinders is the only difference. It just doesn't have the extra 2 wires connected to the harness from the ECM.

Edit : just realized I read your statement backwards,,dislexia is working over time.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
Roadyy
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It will give you the CEL using his to retrieve codes in other areas and it atleast tell you if this is the problem on yours..
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
MurtleDaTurtle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ecu had the same prob 120 bucks auto comp exchange will bet my house on it lol.
MurtleDaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #11
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you have no CEL light then you should check to see if you have 12v on pins 3 and 9 at the ECU connector. This will tell you if the ECU is actually good or not, instead of just throwing stuff at it.

If you do have juice there, then the CEL is connected between pin 32 and ground. You could use that info with a test light to retrieve the codes.

So, first check that the ECU is getting juice in the first place. It might not be getting juice even tho you replaced the ign switch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.