no spark - 88 4.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > no spark - 88 4.2

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
cgoldhill
1988 YJ Wrangler 

no spark - 88 4.2

I was out driving one day and the jeep was randomly missing and bucking, backfired and popped through the intake once or twice. Got it up to work the next day and checked my timing. while i was fiddling, it died on me once or twice and i could hear the coil arcing when i pulled on the distributor wire. popped the cap and saw the pick up was mucho loose so i got a new distributor. put the new one in and got no spark, bought a new coil and ICM and still no spark. Tested everything and it all seems good to go. Coil gets power, ICM gets power and signal from the distributor. Even tried the nutter bypass to take the ECU out of the loop and still nothing

Any ideas at all? It cranks but no spark. Ive been reading around and see that the icm casing itself may not have a good ground. I'm fresh out of ideas and I'm on the verge of buying an MSD box. Just dont want to keep throwing money at it though. All help appreciated

cgoldhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldhill View Post
I was out driving one day and the jeep was randomly missing and bucking, backfired and popped through the intake once or twice. Got it up to work the next day and checked my timing. while i was fiddling, it died on me once or twice and i could hear the coil arcing when i pulled on the distributor wire. popped the cap and saw the pick up was mucho loose so i got a new distributor. put the new one in and got no spark, bought a new coil and ICM and still no spark. Tested everything and it all seems good to go. Coil gets power, ICM gets power and signal from the distributor. Even tried the nutter bypass to take the ECU out of the loop and still nothing

Any ideas at all? It cranks but no spark. Ive been reading around and see that the icm casing itself may not have a good ground. I'm fresh out of ideas and I'm on the verge of buying an MSD box. Just dont want to keep throwing money at it though. All help appreciated
Here is a link in JF that addresses the ICM:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wh...module-890279/

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
ScottsYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar problem with my 88 and the ICM. Pulled the one from my bosses Jeep and everything worked fine. Put mine back in and it worked fine for a week and started acting up again. I went back and forth between another OEM ICM or the MSD. Went the MSD and am glad I did. Jeep starts and runs better than ever before. I'm sure there are those that will say the MSD is overkill but I'm happy, my jeep runs better and thats what matters.
ScottsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.