post #1 of Old 08-09-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
cgoldhill
1988 YJ Wrangler 

no spark - 88 4.2

I was out driving one day and the jeep was randomly missing and bucking, backfired and popped through the intake once or twice. Got it up to work the next day and checked my timing. while i was fiddling, it died on me once or twice and i could hear the coil arcing when i pulled on the distributor wire. popped the cap and saw the pick up was mucho loose so i got a new distributor. put the new one in and got no spark, bought a new coil and ICM and still no spark. Tested everything and it all seems good to go. Coil gets power, ICM gets power and signal from the distributor. Even tried the nutter bypass to take the ECU out of the loop and still nothing

Any ideas at all? It cranks but no spark. Ive been reading around and see that the icm casing itself may not have a good ground. I'm fresh out of ideas and I'm on the verge of buying an MSD box. Just dont want to keep throwing money at it though. All help appreciated

post #2 of Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldhill View Post
I was out driving one day and the jeep was randomly missing and bucking, backfired and popped through the intake once or twice. Got it up to work the next day and checked my timing. while i was fiddling, it died on me once or twice and i could hear the coil arcing when i pulled on the distributor wire. popped the cap and saw the pick up was mucho loose so i got a new distributor. put the new one in and got no spark, bought a new coil and ICM and still no spark. Tested everything and it all seems good to go. Coil gets power, ICM gets power and signal from the distributor. Even tried the nutter bypass to take the ECU out of the loop and still nothing

Any ideas at all? It cranks but no spark. Ive been reading around and see that the icm casing itself may not have a good ground. I'm fresh out of ideas and I'm on the verge of buying an MSD box. Just dont want to keep throwing money at it though. All help appreciated
Here is a link in JF that addresses the ICM:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wh...module-890279/

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
post #3 of Old 08-09-2010, 07:50 PM
ScottsYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar problem with my 88 and the ICM. Pulled the one from my bosses Jeep and everything worked fine. Put mine back in and it worked fine for a week and started acting up again. I went back and forth between another OEM ICM or the MSD. Went the MSD and am glad I did. Jeep starts and runs better than ever before. I'm sure there are those that will say the MSD is overkill but I'm happy, my jeep runs better and thats what matters.

Proud YJ owner since 10.25.2008.
Teamrush mod, MC2100 carb, Nuttered, BDS 2" Lift kit, BrandonYJ Shackles 1/2", AA SYE, Tom Woods DS,
31" Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow CAT, Flowmaster Delta 40 Muffler, Monstalined, MSD 6A Ignition