No spark!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No spark!!!

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 12-21-2001, 06:21 PM   #1
oilfieldtrash

No spark!!!

Ok, folks, here's my first post, just not what I wanted to start off with. I started installing my suspension lift yesterday ( '87 YJ, 258, 3.5" lift, 33-12.5's,still got more to do), needed some tunes, so I left my ignition on to play the stereo (I know, I know!) Today I finished up, slapped the tires on, and went to start her up and no joy. Checked for spark, and of course there wasn't any. I had recently installed a juice box and did the "Nutter Bypass", so I undid both of these just for kicks- still no joy. Tried manually firing the coil, still no spark. Lack of anything resembling a voltmeter forced me to "shotgun" troubleshoot; an idiot light to check for voltage, and just replacing the ignition module and pickup.
I even went so far as to run my fingers over each wire as far as I could get to check for burns, breaks, etc... Am I missing something, forgot to check anything, or am I being punished for wrenching without beer?

oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2001, 07:19 PM   #2
Niagara_Jeep_Guy

I had a similar problem w/ my jeep. I thought that my coil was cracked and got wet or something... after replacing that it still didn't work... Anyways check the ignition module (it's a silver box w/ 4 wires located under the antifreeze overflow tank.. pain in the *** to get at.)

'87 YJ Wrangler 258
Niagara_Jeep_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2001, 12:20 PM   #3
oilfieldtrash

Thanks, but found it already. Turns out the ignition module AND the coil were bad. I've since rewired the stereo to come on without the ignition switch, shouldn't burn them out again.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2001, 12:27 PM   #4
glm 87 wrangler

Be carefull not to leave it on or battery will run down.But glad you got it going>Later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.