No Spark - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No Spark

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
jjs825
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No Spark

1989 wrangler 4.2l. driving home and it died on me tried pop starting it while i was coasting to a stop and nothing. towed it home and poured some fuel in the carb and nothing. checked for spark and i have no spark so i picked up a new coil still nothing. when the key is in the run position i have power to the coil terminals but nothing after that. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. maybe its possible the new coil i picked up is defective??? it cranks over just doesnt fire up.

jjs825 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hi there and welcome to JeepForum, you've just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere!

I'm not real familiar with the older ignitions, yours the older Renix system while mine is the OBD-1 (computerized). But I do think that yours has an ignition control module, very similar to the old Ford Duraspark boxes. And they say that it burns out often. Might want to have a look at that or wait for somebody with another 1989 with the 4.2.
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
jjs825
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I was actually looking for it today couldnt seem to locate it. i planned on starting there in the am but figured id put up a post hopeful avoid just throwing money at it. thanks for the input.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The ICM is underneath the washer fluid and overflow coolant tanks. Take them out and it will be right there.

It could very easily be your problem.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
jjs825
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
The ICM is underneath the washer fluid and overflow coolant tanks. Take them out and it will be right there.

It could very easily be your problem.
Awesome!! thanks alot
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am vaguely familiar with the old Renix system. I owned an '88 Grand Cherokee years ago. It had a TDC sensor IIRC which is what we now call a crank sensor. If it goes bad you probably don't get any spark (or fuel?) either since the ECM gets no report of flywheel movement so the ECM sends no signal to the ICM which in turn won't fire the coil.

The ICM may very well be the problem. But if you swap it out and it still won't fire I would check the TDC sensor next. It is mounted on the left side of your bell housing much like the cranks sensor is nowadays.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't have a TDC sensor or a crank sensor.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK my bad here it is the troubleshooting charts from the FSM for bot the 4.0 and 4.2. This for no spark won't start problem. 7 pages long hope you can use this and follow it. Best I got.
ign-89-4-1.jpg   ign-89-4.2-2.jpg   ign-89-4.2-3.jpg   ign-89-4.2-4.jpg   ign-89-4.2-5.jpg  

ign-89-4.2-6.jpg   ign-89-4.2-7.jpg  

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
It doesn't have a TDC sensor or a crank sensor.
You're right! Maybe it was only the 2.5's. They had FI not a carb.

EDIT YET AGAIN. I think there was a 4.0 in the 1989 Jeep Cherokee Wagoneers and it had MPFI.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)

Last edited by laybackman; 06-16-2013 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: not the 4.0's!!!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Have you found anything yet ? Just out of curiosity what carb are you running ? Did you get the ICM checked to see if it's working properly ?
My last ICM lasted 10 months- switched it over to the GM style. I like $28 better than the $70 advanced auto wants.
I can send photos if you like,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.