No Spark? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No Spark?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
NeilBedwin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No Spark?

Hi Folks,

So I went off to Dubai yesterday in the Durango and my wife went to work at the Embassy in the Jeep. All worked fine getting there but when she came to go home it won't start!
I popped down to check it today and it turns over, there is a small of fuel but no firing.
I checked for a spark at the coil lead by pushing an allen key into the hole and holding next to a bolt. I got a very weak yellow/blue spark only if I touched the bolt. I get no spark at a plug lead.

Do I need a new coil or am I missing something?

Neil

NeilBedwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check the rotor and cap and the plug wires. If your getting spark in you should get spark out. No matter how strong.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
NeilBedwin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I thought that but the spark has to jump the gap between the rotor arm and the cap connectors does it not?

If it was weak then it would not jump the gap.

Checked the rotor arm and cap and there is nothing obvious. It worked fine to get to work. Wouldn't start 5 hours later.....
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What does the cap and rotor look like. Are any of them pitted?
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
NeilBedwin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pitted, but no worse than I have seen on other cars. The lead connectors are fine. Cap has no cracks in.

The Jeep has only done 120,000km or so.

My concern is the lack of large blue spark at the coil lead. Surely it should be big and blue not small and yellow/blue.
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You should get a hot crisp spark. You'll be able to hear it and see it. Some people talk about a color but I'am color blind I guess.
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Try scrapeing the tip of the rotor off so it's clean.
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
NeilBedwin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cleaned everything in the distributor - cap, contacts and rotor arm.

I can see the spark and it is small and weak....so it looks like I need a coil.

Parts shops are closed until Sat here but I can get a secondhand one from the scrappers tomorrow. That will prove my problem and then I can order some new bits!

Thanks for being a wall to bounce ideas off

Neil
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sure hope that's it. Get back and let us know. But it wouldn't hurt to get a new cap and rotor also. But then I don't know what they would cost you. Good Luck.
Unread 01-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
NeilBedwin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Toot, toot......that's me blowing my own trumpet

Nipped down to the scrap yard and picked up an ignition coil this morning. 10 mins with the car and it was fitted. First turn of the key and vroom, vroom.

So I am now off to browse Rock Auto and get some new ignition parts! Won't hurt to have a new coil, distributer cap, rotor and spark plug leads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.