No Roll Cage? Here is why you need one.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No Roll Cage? Here is why you need one....

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

No Roll Cage? Here is why you need one....

From the first hand accounts I heard.. He was on a hill that he should have been able to make it up but it was pushing the limits of his set up. 36's I believe. Stock everything. He got sideways on the hill and the jeep settled for a second. Then slowly went over a single time and stopped on the passenger side. So driver side hit, then top, then came to rest on passenger side.

Note how the stock bar folded and creased. This bar was designed to support the wind forces of the window, NOT to protect you in a flop. Look how it's bent down at the sport bar and pulled away. That crease would hurt or kill a passenger who had a shoulder harness on, you can't get away if the belt locks. No passenger was here luckily. Notice how its right where a head would be.

The area bent down in this low speed flop was down to the steering wheel. It was pried back up. A large chunk of his face was still on there after they pulled him out. That metal is just enough to hold glass in. It's not protective in any way.

Remember the area sticking down on the window frame was crushed to the wheel. You couldn't fit a finger between the wheel and frame. That's how twisted it was. The metal is so weak it was pried back up to get him out. The driver side window support was folded down much more also. Note the lap belt, no shoulder belt.

Low speed, non violent roll. Could happen to anyone. No matter how confident or safe you think you are. False sense of security because a little metal window frame. Sometimes when accidents happen there are injuries that are not preventable, they are just unlucky bad accidents. He could have walked away laughing with a cage.

He is alive. Broken collar bone because a rock came in the window. His face was ripped by the window frame and he had a flap that fell down exposing his skull. He didn't know he rolled. I don't have an update since I left VA on Sunday.

Put a damn roll cage in.

Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Would have done far better without the spreader bar. Mine did when I rolled it.
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Amen
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

To me it looks like the only real issue here is the whimpy windshield, and support bars. The actual roll bar faired pretty well. How much would keeping the stock roll bar and adding some strength to the front half? Similar to this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep+roll+bar+upgrade&client=firefox-a&hs=5fd&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HW84UtSUI 6WIyAG07oGwBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=946&dpr =1#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=3RvD_kiF7IO74M%3A%3BfWG9 aPzF15jqVM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.ebayimg.com%252F 00%252Fs%252FMTM4N1gxMjE0%252Fz%252FDi0AAOxyjK1RDF 2H%252F%2524T2eC16VHJHEE9ny2rTiHBRDF2G8NRQ~~60_35. JPG%253Fset_id%253D880000500F%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252 Fwww.ebay.com%252Fbhp%252Fjeep-cj-roll-bar%3B262%3B300

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Moved to the top of my list

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Moved to the top of my list
your family and friends thank you.
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
To me it looks like the only real issue here is the whimpy windshield, and support bars. The actual roll bar faired pretty well. How much would keeping the stock roll bar and adding some strength to the front half? Similar to this:
The stock B pillar sport bar will fold easily if its not supported with some cross bracing. It needs triangulation to prevent it from folding. I used the stock bar to work from. Added an astrex looking bars. X with a cross bar. tied it to the frame. You still need A pillar tied to the frame and over head support.

Unread 09-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

##### I cant look at pics when I am at work! Bookmarked for veiwing when I get home. It is one of my concerns with the fiberglass tub I am thinking about going to. Frame tieins front and rear are on my list.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This is my winter project for the YJ. There are certain trails/terrain I will not attempt due to the factory roll bar set up in my jeep. I am not opposed to pushing my jeep to its limits, I am just opposed to pushing my head to ITS limit.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
The stock B pillar sport bar will fold easily if its not supported with some cross bracing. It needs triangulation to prevent it from folding. I used the stock bar to work from. Added an astrex looking bars. X with a cross bar. tied it to the frame. You still need A pillar tied to the frame and over head support.

What about those of us who want room for 2 rear passengers as well?

My Jeep is definitely getting attention when it comes to the rollbar.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great post! None of the factory setup is any good at all.

I need to get mine made. Right now when I wheel if it looks at all hairy I don't attempt or tell passengers to get out. Still taking chances but for now...

As far as accessing the back seats... I have thought about running a half removable center bar on the passenger side. My design is not perfected yet.

I am also thinking of switching the rear seats to buckets for head support. Also tieing those into the cage with floor bars tied to the cage as well.
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
What about those of us who want room for 2 rear passengers as well?

My Jeep is definitely getting attention when it comes to the rollbar.
There's room on something like that. Get creative.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Poke. Looking GOOD!

Whats the easiest way to tie into the frame? Drill a hole in the floor and weld it up?

Unread 09-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I put this in about 8 years ago. Do not know how effective it is as I have had not needed it yet(good thing).
It is a "sport" cage(poison spyder sport from when ps was in Denver). It welds to the existing factory cage. And has a tub/frame tie in at the end of the down pillar.

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
What about those of us who want room for 2 rear passengers as well? .
make it so it covers the rear passengers. Don't complicate it. There are thousands of pictures and infinite options available to protect everyone in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.