No power to reverse lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No power to reverse lights

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

No power to reverse lights

I've been trying to trace this issue on my YJ and haven't had much luck. I think the neutral safety switch controls this? 'Scuse my ignorance but please help me identify what these two items are...

newfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have an auto or stick?

The manual should have a switch on the RT side of the transmission. On the Auto, it is indeed part of the neutral safety switch, which should also be on the transmission side, but I am not sure exactly where on them. That is where I would start checking for power going into the switch and seeing if it leaves it when in reverse.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Damnit- looks like my pics didn't upload. Here's another try. FYI it's a standard trans. both pics were taken from the driver's side.
20130719_190525.jpg   20130719_190554.jpg  
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the first picture is the reverse light switch. There is no neutral safety switch on a manual wrangler. You can remove the wire from the switch and check for power..

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The second one is for your 4x4
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
the first picture is the reverse light switch...

Here is an easy test.
- Turn the ignition switch to RUN. No need to start the Jeep.
- Disconnect the connector from the Reverse Light Switch on the tranny.
- Using a short piece of wire, paperclip, etc short the two contacts together in the connector you just removed from the switch.

If the reverse lights are on then the problem is with the reverse switch in the tranny. Easy to replace. Just unscrew the old one and screw in a new one. $15 at your local Autozone.

If the reverse lights don't come on by shorting the contacts together then there is an electrical problem somewhere else. First check fuze #4 (15 amp). This is the one that provides power to the reverse light switch.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post

Here is an easy test.
- Turn the ignition switch to RUN. No need to start the Jeep.
- Disconnect the connector from the Reverse Light Switch on the tranny.
- Using a short piece of wire, paperclip, etc short the two contacts together in the connector you just removed from the switch.

If the reverse lights are on then the problem is with the reverse switch in the tranny. Easy to replace. Just unscrew the old one and screw in a new one. $15 at your local Autozone.

If the reverse lights don't come on by shorting the contacts together then there is an electrical problem somewhere else. First check fuze #4 (15 amp). This is the one that provides power to the reverse light switch.
Thanks; this was easy to do and confirmed that my switch is bad!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.