No power/no idle hot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No power/no idle hot

The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
mdoll

No power/no idle hot

91' Jeep YJ, 4.0 6 cyl

I have a bad rear seal and it's -35 so I dumped a can of rear seal sealant in the oil. Drove it for an hour with no issues. Pulled in for gas and filled the tank. Left the station and lost all power at 2000RPM. Could keep it moving on the flat in first and second gear but barely made it up even small inclines.

Now it starts cold and runs fine until it heats up. 1/2 block it again loses power over 1500-2000 RPM. Stalls when I hit the gas.

Once hot won't idle but evens out at 2000+RPM, but can't drive it at all. Dies when you take your foot off the gas and won't restart.

Ruled out the O2 sensor. Dumped gas line antifreeze and injector cleaner in the fuel and it hasn't helped.

Had it at a mechanic and they couldn't fix it. They suggested dumping WNNS tune up in a can in it. I tried that didn't help.

I'm stumped.... any ideas?

I bought a new TPS sensor but haven't installed it yet. It cranks up fine when idling and runs smooth after 2500 or so RPM. So I don't think that is it and would rather not burn the $70 for the sensor if it isn't the cause.

mdoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

this sounds like a severe vacuum leak around the manifold. It only occurs after the metal has expanded. Use an unlit propane torch around the manifolds while the engine is at idle. Listen for a change in RPM. A vacuum gauge is a good idea if you have one. I have one permanantly mounted in the cab to monitor engine vacuum.

Also, check for a severe exhaust leak. how did you rule out the O2 sensor? did you unplug it to see if the situation improved?

Also clean out the throttle body and IAC valve with throttle body cleaner! very simple to do, takes about 20-30 minutes.

You should go to Autozone an borrow the fuel pressure gauge, its free if you leave a deposit. It just plugs into the shrader valve on your fuel rail. Read the pressure with the key in the ON position, at idle, and with the vacuum line disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator.

when was the last time you:
changed the fuel filter?
changed the air filter?
changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap?
changed the oil/oil filter? what oil did you use?
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
mdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
this sounds like a severe vacuum leak around the manifold. It only occurs after the metal has expanded. Use an unlit propane torch around the manifolds while the engine is at idle. Listen for a change in RPM. A vacuum gauge is a good idea if you have one. I have one permanantly mounted in the cab to monitor engine vacuum.

Also, check for a severe exhaust leak. how did you rule out the O2 sensor? did you unplug it to see if the situation improved?

Also clean out the throttle body and IAC valve with throttle body cleaner! very simple to do, takes about 20-30 minutes.

You should go to Autozone an borrow the fuel pressure gauge, its free if you leave a deposit. It just plugs into the shrader valve on your fuel rail. Read the pressure with the key in the ON position, at idle, and with the vacuum line disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator.

when was the last time you:
changed the fuel filter?
changed the air filter?
changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap?
changed the oil/oil filter? what oil did you use?
Thanks did you mean a lit or unlit propane torch?

Fuel filter who knows, air filter brand new, spark plugs, wires and cap are fairly recent. Oil is new, filter is not (waiting to replace the rear seal when it's not -35)

I am in Canada so don't have an autozone, but might have a fuel pressure gauge in the tool box. Can't remember. definitely have a vacuum pressure gauge.

Thanks for the ideas... wish I still had my garage. Just moved
mdoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

unlit of course. map gas, or even carb cleaner in a pinch. the theory is that if you have a vacuum leak it will suck in the propane and cause a change in idle as the engine burns it.
The_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2015, 01:17 AM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Like The_Goob says, unlit propane torch!

you can try NAPA, pep boys, O'reilly's if you have any of those. They all have tool loans. They want you in there buying parts, so they loan you the tools to do repairs for free.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Follow the directions on the link and check the codes. Post what you get.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.