No power going into coil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No power going into coil

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
jeepcrazy93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No power going into coil

I am trying to finish up my 4.0 swap for my 93. I had the jeep running but a few days ago I tried starting it and the motor turns over but no spark. I have no spark after the coil or power going into coil. I have replaced the cps (crank), cps (cam), coil. I even linked 87 and 30 together on the ASD relay. I am getting fuel but no spark. I tried to pull the codes and I am getting a few codes. I think the one code is 53. I tried the search feature but nothing that fits my description.

Unread 11-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The power for the coil comes from your ASD relay which I think is in the PDC. The PCM feed is the ground circuit which shuts off/turns on the ground to the coil.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
jeepcrazy93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking about checking the new crank sensor to see if its bad.
Unread 11-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

gotta have power at the coil before the sensor fires it... check the asd relay

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If the PCM gets a movement signal from the crank sensor you get fuel and spark unless something else prevents one from happening.

I would check for the ground pulse at the PCM that goes to the coil. If the ground pulse is there then the problem is the wiring from that point to the coil.

If the ground pulse is getting to the coil then the problem is no power getting to the coil from the ASD relay. Or the coil is junk.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Yep as mentioned you get constant power from the ASD relay, mounted in the PDC. The ECM is responsible to keep the relay grounded ("ON") when appropriate.

It sounds like you have a break in the wiring, since the fuel pump also is powered from the ASD. You can confirm this is your only issue if you can supply fused power to the coil and then try to start the Jeep. The ECU supplies the ground to the coil, and breaks that ground signal to create the spark when needed.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
jeepcrazy93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Ill check it out next time I get a chance.
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
jeepcrazy93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I put a new ASD relay in and still nothing. I so I did what Noltz and added fused power wire to the coil and then I got spark. I need to readjust my timing but at least I have spark. Thank you guys.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So you bypassed the coil wiring from the ASD relay but you should try to find the problem, OR you end up with a rig that is nothing but gerry rigs!. Trace the coil wire at the coil back to the ASD relay or test that wire for continuity. I believe it goes to a splice. It could be bad at the splice.

Unread 11-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
jeepcrazy93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You are exactly right. I will be fixing it but i used that bypass to help me diagnose the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.