No power? Cant accelerate after 2nd gear... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No power? Cant accelerate after 2nd gear...

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
racoonfrenzy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No power? Cant accelerate after 2nd gear...

Im having issues with the jeep not being able to accelerate...

1st gear I get to about 3500 rpm and shift, 2nd gear 3500rpm shift, 3rd gear bogs down at 2000rpm and wont pick up unless going down hill...

Shifting as soon as the shift up light comes on...

Im in 2hi as far as I can tell. What the heck is going on?

No check engine light...

Last edited by racoonfrenzy; 10-12-2013 at 10:21 PM..
racoonfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Ohsplat

Check fuel pressure.
Ohsplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
racoonfrenzy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohsplat View Post
Check fuel pressure.
I don't have a psi guage until I can rent one from autozone, however I turned the key to prime the fuel pump and went up to the fuel rail and hit the needle-valve. Nothing comes out, is that normal? No pressure before starting the vehicle?
Unread 10-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Ohsplat

If it primed, it should have pressure. Try priming it 3 or 4 times, if you dont get anything from bleeder its a fuel problem. You can also hit the bleeder after you run it. If I turn off engine and hit bleeder it shoots as high as the hood.
Unread 10-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
MoparMech
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you find that you have fuel pressure. Pull out one of your o2 sensors before the cat and see if it runs better. A plugged cat will Kill your power.
MoparMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
racoonfrenzy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMech View Post
If you find that you have fuel pressure. Pull out one of your o2 sensors before the cat and see if it runs better. A plugged cat will Kill your power.
Just rebuilt the exhaust, no cat, and new muffler...

Turned the key to on 3-4 times heard the fuel pump whine. No spray.
Started it up, shut it off. Not even a dribble...

How is it managing to even drive if it has no fuel pressure? lol
Unread 10-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonfrenzy View Post
Just rebuilt the exhaust, no cat, and new muffler...

Turned the key to on 3-4 times heard the fuel pump whine. No spray.
Started it up, shut it off. Not even a dribble...

How is it managing to even drive if it has no fuel pressure? lol
Great Question:

There could be a few reasons it starts and runs while seeming to have no pressure. It may be that you have pressure while priming and running, but your Fuel injector(s) have bad o-rings and it bleeds the pressure out quicker than it should.

The question I would be asking myself is - When did this issue start to happen, and what did I do just before it started?

If you just removed the cat, and made changes to the exhaust, what else did you do? Possible the O2 sensor got borked during the changes?

If it's not presenting the CEL, did you try to get codes off the ECM? If so, what codes did you get?

Let's start with the codes.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your upshift light comes on at 3500 RPM?? Wow.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
racoonfrenzy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
Your upshift light comes on at 3500 RPM?? Wow.
No, but if I dont shift at 3500 I don't have enough power to keep going in the next gear

I just got the jeep a couple days ago, the PO had the exhaust cut off behind the muffler and it ran like crap before that too. It was just so loud that I figured that I was shifting too low of rpm...

I do get CEL codes ; 12,33 but those don't pertain to anything that would cause this... just A/C relay - I dont have A/C

Now if the injectors were leaking would I see an initial spike in psi, the see it drain to 0?
Unread 10-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
racoonfrenzy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

At prime it goes to 8psi then to 0psi in about 1-2 seconds.
I start the car it goes to 30psi, rev the car it goes up to 32psi

As soon as I turn the car off it drops to 0psi...

Last edited by racoonfrenzy; 10-13-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Unread 10-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonfrenzy
At prime it goes to 8psi then to 0psi in about 1-2 seconds. I start the car it goes to 30psi, rev the car it goes up to 32psi As soon as I turn the car off it drops to 0psi...
You are running low fuel pressures. If you are near a junkyard with Cherokees, they use the same Fuel Pressure Sensors as ours do. Take an 8mm socket and go grab the FPS, the bolt, the metal clamp, and the vacuum line ( if there) and swap it out. Just make sure the FPS you pull has fuel in it when pulled. Most do, the ones without are less likely to work. Bottom of the tool bag, price o admission odds and ends that may fix your issue.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonfrenzy View Post
I don't have a psi guage until I can rent one from autozone, however I turned the key to prime the fuel pump and went up to the fuel rail and hit the needle-valve. Nothing comes out, is that normal? No pressure before starting the vehicle?
You should have had pressure to push some fuel out. Get a pressure tester to make sure.

HF has a decent one for sale for 20 bucks. A good tool to have.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
Ohsplat

Ever replace the fuel filter? The regulatore or fps is a idea but a bad injector or bad check valve in the fuel pump can cause drop off to. Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen for the clicks on each injector. To test the fps you can clamp the plastic fuel return line and see if it runs better. WARNING don't run it that way long. Clamping that return line will let u know if its the fps. If you clamp it and fuel pressure raises bingo its your fuel pressure regulator (fps).
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
racoonfrenzy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced all the spark plugs including the hard the reach rear one. I don't think that one was sparking at all.

I took the vacuum line off the regulator and it goes to 43psi which seems to be within spec. It looks like the check valve is bad on the fuel pump so its not holding pressure when you prime it. But after changing that last spark plug it has seemed to pick up a little power.

Ill be replacing the fuel pump this weekend so hopefully that will clear up the issue entirely.
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Ohsplat

Let us know even if it helps. A lot of people tend not to reply to what the fix was.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.