No one has been able to help me yet..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No one has been able to help me yet.....

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
bluedevil4
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No one has been able to help me yet.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV7ziIGLbbo

This is a video of my 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ with the 2.5L engine, manual transmission. This is how my problem started:

I was doing about 65 down the interstate. Once I hit the off-ramp, my Jeep gave out. I was able to start it back up, but it started to run differently. When I would reach higher rpms (3000-3500) it would start to make a sort of grinding sound. A week or so later, I had my son press the gas a little while I was under it to check something. He pressed a little too hard and it just quit and it hasn't started since. The video shows what my Jeep is doing. Now, on to what I have done to it to try to fix the problem.

- New battery
- New battery cables
- New starter
- New rotor button
- New crankshaft sensor
- New spark plugs

Please, any help would be awesome. No one has been able to help me so far. Thanks in advance.

-Brad D.

bluedevil4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Had problem loading the video but you might want to check and see if the timing jumped or not. That would be the timing chain.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Video is a no-go
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Didn't work here either.

Are you throwing any codes?
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Video is set to 'private'.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Video didn't work. Have you checked for a spark at the plugs? If not, that is where I would start and work back. If you have good spark at the plugs go to the fuel starting at the carb and working back.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
bluedevil4
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I fixed the video. I do have spark and I do have fuel to my fuel rails.
bluedevil4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like the timing jumped. Pull your timing chain cover and check your chain or you can do it old school and see how much slack you have by using a wrench on the crank shaft pulley. Pull the distributor cap and move the crank until the rotor starts to spin in the distributor. Spin it in the opposite direction and the difference is the amount of slack in the chain. You shouldnt be able to move it more then a 1/4". If you can then your chain was loose and its the timing chain.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

dude, your battery is almost dead.
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
It sounds like the timing jumped. Pull your timing chain cover and check your chain or you can do it old school and see how much slack you have by using a wrench on the crank shaft pulley. Pull the distributor cap and move the crank until the rotor starts to spin in the distributor. Spin it in the opposite direction and the difference is the amount of slack in the chain. You shouldnt be able to move it more then a 1/4". If you can then your chain was loose and its the timing chain.
^^ agree with this scenario. I can hear the soft, hallowed "poofing" sound in your vid while cranking that occurs when the valve train is not sealed on compression. Especially given that this happened while going onto an off ramp. A slack timing chain will easily jump on deceleration.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
bowtech
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Start with the timing chain. Pretty sure that will be the culprit. As mentioned they love to jump on deceleration.
bowtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

After timing check for fuel and spark. If you have both it may be time for a compression test. Assuming it isnt one of the prior 3

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Where did you buy the new CPS? They have been known to be bad out of the box. Check your codes. There's a section in the FAQs to tell you how to do it.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.