no lights, no lights, no lights !!!!!! {problem found} - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > no lights, no lights, no lights !!!!!! {problem found}

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-26-2002, 08:52 PM   #1
renegade0351

no lights, no lights, no lights !!!!!! {problem found}

ok guys, who's ran into this with the yj, no head lights, no brake lights, no park lights with or without the ignition on. only lights i have are reverse and turn signals. is it the switch, relay fuse {where is it located} or something else?
{problem found}

89 sahara, 4.2 , k551 weber, nutter bypass, tuffy stereo security console & under seat security drawer, 4'pro comp & 3'body, front waggy44 w/detroit & 4.88, rear waggy44 w/detroit & 4.88, teralow sye, tw's cv drive shaft {rear}, warn locking hubs, boomerrangs all around, 35x15.50 tsl-sx swampers { love that roar}.
renegade0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 10:46 AM   #2
Kev
Master of the Obvious

You say no brake lights, that means when your pushing the brake pedal right? Or do you mean taillights? If it is the taillights, then I would say your headlight switch is junk, otherwise, I would shoot for a relay, fuse, or something.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 02:04 PM   #3
JeeperJay

If you have your owners manual check in there for the location of the fuses and relays. It should give you a breakdown of which fuse/relay does what. Chances are it is some sort of fuse/relay problem. That would be the first thing I'd check, if that doesn't work then start following wires and look for cuts or corrosion.
Unread 02-27-2002, 02:08 PM   #4
evilpsych

fuse under the hood near the battery.. it's one of those little bastards..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 04:24 PM   #5
Zack Ford

I had that problem with my headlights, going out finally they wouldn't come on at all and it turned out to be the headlight swith, i didn't ever notice if the tailights were out or not. $50
Unread 02-28-2002, 11:52 AM   #6
AJ

Don't buy the switch from the dealer, $50 is about what I paid for mine. Catalogs have them at about $13.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2002, 06:09 PM   #7
renegade0351

well i just replaced the headlight switch and still no light so i guess saturday i'll grab the test light and start checking connections, i picked up the light switch at advance auto {20 bucks, a guy that works at the jeep dealership parts counter here told me not to buy from dealer unless no one else had the part even gave me a # to a jeep salvage yard in alabama, i thought that was kewl} evil i didnt see any fuse near the battery but i was looking for the 2 prong plug in type and it was getting dark but i'll look saturday.
89 sahara, 4.2 , k551 weber, nutter bypass, tuffy stereo security console & under seat security drawer, 4'pro comp & 3'body, front waggy44 w/detroit & 4.88, rear waggy44 w/detroit & 4.88, teralow sye, tw's cv drive shaft {rear}, warn locking hubs, boomerrangs all around, 35x15.50 tsl-sx swampers { love that roar}.
Unread 03-02-2002, 09:49 PM   #8
sturgman

Hey guys..I had the same problem with the headlights goin out..Except mine were goin out on the highways, cruisin at 100 clicks..I changed the switch and all has been good since i have replaced it 2 months ago..Keep Wavin!!!
sturgman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2002, 04:55 PM   #9
renegade0351

no such luck here replaced the switch and still no lights gonna take and have someone look at it tomorrow, let ya know what he finds.
Unread 03-04-2002, 08:54 AM   #10
XJin96style

I know that i own an XJ but they might be the same when it comes to this? Check your pigtail connection which is the connection that goes right into your light switch! Mine was fried from fog lights so i just cut it out of another xj and it works great now! If you can try to find it at a junk yard other wise Jeep will make you replace the whole wireing harness which cost arund $1000,and i dont think you want to pay that. Again I know this is from my XJ but its worth a look!

Good luck

2000 XJ Jeep sport stock
"ITS A JEEP THING, DONT TRY TO FOLLOW YOU MIGHT GET STUCK."
XJin96style is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2002, 10:21 PM   #11
renegade0351

problem found, two wires running to fog lights had a bare spot where they lay next to the frame and shorted out {wore the coating off over time}, blew fuse link. just thought i'd pass on the info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.