Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

No hub locks?

2K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  calpbs 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the place to post, if so direct me where please. If it is, I have a question about my 87 YJ. The hubs have no 4wd locks (yes the jeep has 4wd) I know this is noobish but I didn't even think to look under the hubcap covers when I bought it for my girlfriend. It has a jam nut and hook ups to tow behind an rv or something. What does this mean?

See less See more
#2 ·
It uses a unit bearing hub that's always engaged. The way the front "free wheels" is the axle shaft on the long side is a two piece and that cable lock you now have slides a collar over to lock the two shafts for a locked front end.

I will move this into the YJ section so others can chime in, and to those who know be easy on him we all had to learn oh and welcome.

Jason.

#3 ·
It doesn't have locking hubs, it has a center axle disconnect instead.

By the looks of it, someone disconnected the vacuum system and installed a cable instead to engage the front axle.

The vacuum harness is still available pretty cheap and will do away with the cable.

This should be entertaining. I love a good debate...

Reactions: Drednot
#4 ·
It doesn't have locking hubs, it has a center axle disconnect instead.

By the looks of it, someone disconnected the vacuum system and installed a cable instead to engage the front axle.

The vacuum harness is still available pretty cheap and will do away with the cable.

This should be entertaining. I love a good debate...
:popCorn:

#11 ·
Members here are very helpful and have tried lots of mods so they can be a valuable asset during your YJ voyage. There are many polarizing topics and if you get into performing mods you will eventually tap into one or one hundred lol. Best of luck.

#30 ·
1320yj said:
With Teflon lined PTO cables and a little maintanance it doesn't matter.
here in The Rust Belt I did the cheapo NAPA cable and completely encased it in a clear vinyl tubing from firewall to vac fork housing. Urethane caulking and a clamp onto cable where it enters CAD housing. Three years later no issues with rust. Engages fine; disengagement sometimes takes a few seconds while applying zen. I have parts to complete a OEM vac system on the project jeep but I've become so addicted to 2WD-Lo I'm gonna do the same for that, too. If I didn't drag and back a trailer so often the vac system would be fine 99.44% of the time.

#36 ·
As luck would have it a plow pulled right in front of me and I followed it almost 50 miles home.

@timatoe Not if you have an autolocker and want to flat tow.

I wonder if there is a demand for a bolt on solution for 2lo. Proper solenoid and electric switch spec'd out and ready to install. Could be packaged to order, so no need for initial investment, just need it listed on quadratec.
Hmmm, strangely enough I never had an issue flat towing when I still had the D30 and an Aussie. I also used a true neutral plate in the t-case though.

#34 ·
@timatoe Not if you have an autolocker and want to flat tow.

I wonder if there is a demand for a bolt on solution for 2lo. Proper solenoid and electric switch spec'd out and ready to install. Could be packaged to order, so no need for initial investment, just need it listed on quadratec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.