No Heat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No Heat

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
willhf1011
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No Heat

The blower for heat and air in my jeep works just fine and i get a good flow of air but when i turn the heat on it still just blows cold air. any thoughts on this? would it be a bad heater core? or maybe no coolant flow to the core?

Build Thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/project-project-578313/

Dana 35 Disc Brake swap
willhf1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Hockey1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like the heater core. try doing a flush of just that. do it forward and reversed. use a garden hose or take it to the carwash. just dont squeeze the trigger, it has to much pressure and will destroy it.

Welcome to America, now speak English!
Hockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd venture to say the heater core, but maybe the thermostat as well. May try that first as they're cheap and way easier to change out than the core.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Also check the actuator cable that open/close the door to the heater box; if disconnected, it blows cold air no matter what!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Jeep25
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker
Also check the actuator cable that open/close the door to the heater box; if disconnected, it blows cold air no matter what!

Right. Make the the rod below the dash on the passengers side is connected to the loop.
Jeep25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check/do the following in order..

1) If the engine temp doesn't come up to about 180-210 then you have a bad thermostat. Replace with a 195 degree thermostat.

2) Check the temp of the two heater hoses with the Jeep running, up to temperature and the heater blasting. If both hoses are cool or 1 hose is cool then you have a blocked heater core (or less likely a blocked hose). If both hoses are hot then you have a problem with the temp controll to blend door connection or operation.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
jbierschwale
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk
Check/do the following in order..

1) If the engine temp doesn't come up to about 180-210 then you have a bad thermostat. Replace with a 195 degree thermostat.

2) Check the temp of the two heater hoses with the Jeep running, up to temperature and the heater blasting. If both hoses are cool or 1 hose is cool then you have a blocked heater core (or less likely a blocked hose). If both hoses are hot then you have a problem with the temp controll to blend door connection or operation.
X2!

Smart Feller!
Unread 01-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
HOLLYWOOD6973
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just had the issue on my 95 bought a heat core for $35.00 @ Pepboys now It works awesome!
HOLLYWOOD6973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
JJ Jeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just finished flush

Had the same issue on my 90 YJ. Took heater core hoses loose from the engine and used garden hose to flush. Gunk went everywhere. Flushed until the water ran clear. Connected the hoses and have a heater that will cook an egg now..

JJ Jeep
JJ Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

To perhaps clarify what JJ mentioned: It sounds like he disconnected the hoses at the ENGINE side - NOT at the firewall Meaning that you had the benefit of the hoses to work with and were not twisted up against the firewall trying to force the hose into the core tube.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris68
To perhaps clarify what JJ mentioned: It sounds like he disconnected the hoses at the ENGINE side - NOT at the firewall Meaning that you had the benefit of the hoses to work with and were not twisted up against the firewall trying to force the hose into the core tube.
But then he wouldn't get a chance to get his knuckles busted up and get all cut up on the parts he has to twist past.

Even better would be to look for a radiator flush kit and hook it into the disconnected hoses. That way you have a connection to twist the hose into.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape
Even better would be to look for a radiator flush kit and hook it into the disconnected hoses. That way you have a connection to twist the hose into.
X2 and they're cheap too.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
y87j
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Jeep View Post
Had the same issue on my 90 YJ. Took heater core hoses loose from the engine and used garden hose to flush. Gunk went everywhere. Flushed until the water ran clear. Connected the hoses and have a heater that will cook an egg now..

JJ Jeep
Could you show pics or a diagram on how to do this?
y87j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
YJtuttrain
1992 YJ Wrangler 

is the actuator cable located right behind the heater switches in the dash? My YJ just randomly started blowing cold air, heater core was replaced already...I just fixed the headlight switch under the steering column, wondering if I knocked something around when I was in there..
YJtuttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
Turtlecon
2008 JK Wrangler 

Could someone take a pic of the electrical wires connected to the heater box under the passenger side? Should be 3 wires connected to a plug. I think mine are in wrong order because the heater won't turn on at all, even with all vents open.
Turtlecon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.