JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   No Heat (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/no-heat-502814/)

willhf1011 01-03-2008 01:38 PM

No Heat

The blower for heat and air in my jeep works just fine and i get a good flow of air but when i turn the heat on it still just blows cold air. any thoughts on this? would it be a bad heater core? or maybe no coolant flow to the core?

Hockey1 01-03-2008 01:55 PM

sounds like the heater core. try doing a flush of just that. do it forward and reversed. use a garden hose or take it to the carwash. just dont squeeze the trigger, it has to much pressure and will destroy it.

timatoe 01-03-2008 01:56 PM

I'd venture to say the heater core, but maybe the thermostat as well. May try that first as they're cheap and way easier to change out than the core.

EABiker 01-03-2008 02:06 PM

Also check the actuator cable that open/close the door to the heater box; if disconnected, it blows cold air no matter what!

Jeep25 01-03-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EABiker
Also check the actuator cable that open/close the door to the heater box; if disconnected, it blows cold air no matter what!

Right. Make the the rod below the dash on the passengers side is connected to the loop.

kloppk 01-03-2008 05:36 PM

Check/do the following in order..

1) If the engine temp doesn't come up to about 180-210 then you have a bad thermostat. Replace with a 195 degree thermostat.

2) Check the temp of the two heater hoses with the Jeep running, up to temperature and the heater blasting. If both hoses are cool or 1 hose is cool then you have a blocked heater core (or less likely a blocked hose). If both hoses are hot then you have a problem with the temp controll to blend door connection or operation.

jbierschwale 01-03-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kloppk
Check/do the following in order..

1) If the engine temp doesn't come up to about 180-210 then you have a bad thermostat. Replace with a 195 degree thermostat.

2) Check the temp of the two heater hoses with the Jeep running, up to temperature and the heater blasting. If both hoses are cool or 1 hose is cool then you have a blocked heater core (or less likely a blocked hose). If both hoses are hot then you have a problem with the temp controll to blend door connection or operation.

X2!

Smart Feller!

HOLLYWOOD6973 01-03-2008 06:41 PM

I just had the issue on my 95 bought a heat core for $35.00 @ Pepboys now It works awesome!

JJ Jeep 01-03-2008 07:21 PM

Just finished flush

Had the same issue on my 90 YJ. Took heater core hoses loose from the engine and used garden hose to flush. Gunk went everywhere. Flushed until the water ran clear. Connected the hoses and have a heater that will cook an egg now..

JJ Jeep

bharris68 01-03-2008 07:57 PM

To perhaps clarify what JJ mentioned: It sounds like he disconnected the hoses at the ENGINE side - NOT at the firewall :) Meaning that you had the benefit of the hoses to work with and were not twisted up against the firewall trying to force the hose into the core tube. :)

Grape Ape 01-03-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharris68
To perhaps clarify what JJ mentioned: It sounds like he disconnected the hoses at the ENGINE side - NOT at the firewall :) Meaning that you had the benefit of the hoses to work with and were not twisted up against the firewall trying to force the hose into the core tube. :)

But then he wouldn't get a chance to get his knuckles busted up and get all cut up on the parts he has to twist past.

Even better would be to look for a radiator flush kit and hook it into the disconnected hoses. That way you have a connection to twist the hose into.

timatoe 01-03-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grape Ape
Even better would be to look for a radiator flush kit and hook it into the disconnected hoses. That way you have a connection to twist the hose into.

X2 and they're cheap too.

y87j 02-22-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ Jeep (Post 4623569)
Had the same issue on my 90 YJ. Took heater core hoses loose from the engine and used garden hose to flush. Gunk went everywhere. Flushed until the water ran clear. Connected the hoses and have a heater that will cook an egg now..

JJ Jeep

Could you show pics or a diagram on how to do this?

YJtuttrain 02-24-2012 12:18 PM

is the actuator cable located right behind the heater switches in the dash? My YJ just randomly started blowing cold air, heater core was replaced already...I just fixed the headlight switch under the steering column, wondering if I knocked something around when I was in there..

Turtlecon 02-24-2012 12:48 PM

Could someone take a pic of the electrical wires connected to the heater box under the passenger side? Should be 3 wires connected to a plug. I think mine are in wrong order because the heater won't turn on at all, even with all vents open.

The time now is 08:36 PM.