No first or second gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No first or second gear

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Jeremey5000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No first or second gear

I almost got slammed into this morning. I was waiting on a break in traffic to turn across the road. When I saw my chance I put it in first and went to go but I only rolled right into the way of a big truck. My first and second do nothing at all but I do have 3,4,5, and reverse. What am I looking at as far as fixing it?

Unread 01-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Jeremey5000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody? lol
Unread 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If your capable of tearing apart a tranny then just replace the broken parts, if not like me, buy a remanufactured.
msprooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
modre
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like you get to open up a transmission and see if it's simply a quick broken fork or similar

I'm not real optimistic.

the problem with shrapnel (all hardened steel) in a gearbox is it gets all thru the bearings and gear mesh surfaces. quick fix is a replacement transmission.

pull the drain plug and see if the oil is metallic (bad news) or cleanish (maybe hopeful)
modre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You have an AX-5, and it sounds as though you have a broken/damaged shift fork.

This is an AX-5 I rebuilt a while back in these pics.

To fix it will require complete disassembly, and a rebuild would be the sensible thing to do because the parts are so cheap.

Where in Florida are you? Maybe I can help?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The problem could also be stripped splines between the shaft and the 1/2 synchro hub.
(I have a TJ that came used and abused with the splines stripped on the 3/4 synchro hub)
In any case it reqires opening up your tranny to fix it or a replacement tranny swapped in.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
The problem could also be stripped splines between the shaft and the 1/2 synchro hub.
(I have a TJ that came used and abused with the splines stripped on the 3/4 synchro hub)
In any case it reqires opening up your tranny to fix it or a replacement tranny swapped in.
I agree. I have never seen this myself, but if you have then I'm sure it's a distinct possibility. I know that the problem must exist in a way that affects BOTH gears, so either a shift fork issue like I descibed, or the hub issue as you described would almost have to be the cause.

Thanks for educating me!

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I agree. I have never seen this myself, but if you have then I'm sure it's a distinct possibility. I know that the problem must exist in a way that affects BOTH gears, so either a shift fork issue like I descibed, or the hub issue as you described would almost have to be the cause.

Thanks for educating me!

Max
Max - No problem

Here is a pic of the 3/4 hub I had to replaced.
Note the missing splines on the inside

Unread 01-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Max - No problem

Here is a pic of the 3/4 hub I had to replaced.
Note the missing splines on the inside

UGH! The pic is blocked for me here at work.

I'll check it out in the a.m.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Jeremey5000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like good news to me so far. The cheapest quote I got to have it rebuilt is 650.00 labor plus parts...
I got it out of the jeep and will be breaking into it today to take a look at the damage. I'll take some pics of what I find. Is there any special tools needed to get it apart?
I'm in Zephyrhills about 30-45 minutes north of Tampa mean max. Where are you at?
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You won't need any special tools to tear into it to diagnose it.
If it's just a bad shift for you are all set using standard tools.
However if you need to pull the main shaft out to do the repair and remove the synchros and gears you will need a long reach gear puller and then a press to re-assemble the main staft.
Unread 01-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremey5000 View Post
Sounds like good news to me so far. The cheapest quote I got to have it rebuilt is 650.00 labor plus parts...
I got it out of the jeep and will be breaking into it today to take a look at the damage. I'll take some pics of what I find. Is there any special tools needed to get it apart?
I'm in Zephyrhills about 30-45 minutes north of Tampa mean max. Where are you at?
I'm on the east coast, over here in Stuart, about 40 miles north of West Palm Beach. I can help you rebuild it if you feel like dragging the gearbox over here.
Quote:
You won't need any special tools to tear into it to diagnose it.
If it's just a bad shift for you are all set using standard tools.
However if you need to pull the main shaft out to do the repair and remove the synchros and gears you will need a long reach gear puller and then a press to re-assemble the main staft.
I've been able to use just a standard puller, a bearing splitter, and a 12 ton shop press to get them all done.
Max

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.