No Fire, Where Should I Begin? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No Fire, Where Should I Begin?

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 08-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #16
SayBye

ok good news, sorta...

because i didnt have the 470uf cap i just plugged the ecu back into my jeep and hooked my ignition coil back up. fuel pump came on, it cranked for a few and was wanting to run but wouldnt idle. when i gave it some gas while cranking it, it would run, but not idle with my foot off the pedal. after about 3 minutes, it finally started to idle. i let it run for about 10 minutes.

so where does that leave me? do you think theres still something that needs to be changed out? (either the caps or the ignition coil) or do you think maybe something was just loose and i snugged it back down when i hooked everything back up?

SayBye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #17
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is a standard ECU. If your CEL came on when you cycled the key then it wasn't the cap issue. I think you were just not getting the key cycle correct. Look at this and retry it:
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
SayBye

hahaha wow. thanks for posting that video! i had the key cycle completely off. ill do it right tonight when i get home and let cha know what comes up.
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
SayBye

checked the codes... i got a 12 and a 33.

33 = Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted ( Also will show up for rigs without AC)

12 = Memory Standby power lost (Batt or computer recently disconnected)

so basically it told me nothing. i dont have my a/c on it anymore and i disconnected the batt and ecu to check the caps on the ecu. so im pretty much lost now, ive done everything i can think up.

now it just doesnt idle by itself. i have to stay on the gas a little. after about a minute, i can let off the gas and it will idle and run just fine.
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #20
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayBye View Post
checked the codes... i got a 12 and a 33.

33 = Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted ( Also will show up for rigs without AC)

12 = Memory Standby power lost (Batt or computer recently disconnected)

so basically it told me nothing. i dont have my a/c on it anymore and i disconnected the batt and ecu to check the caps on the ecu. so im pretty much lost now, ive done everything i can think up.

now it just doesnt idle by itself. i have to stay on the gas a little. after about a minute, i can let off the gas and it will idle and run just fine.
Well, now you got spark. But since it doesn't idle I'm betting its a fuel issue.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It could be fuel, it could be tune up time. If it's changing cold to warm and you can get a good idle warm chances are one of the sensors are not giving the ecu what it needs. There is a sensor call the IAC that is responsible for idle along with the Throttle position sensor. I would start by cleaning the throttle body, IAC, and TPS and if it's been more than a few years give her a tune up with a new fuel filter, plugs, etc.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #22
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ X2 what Que said. I always tell people to put a good tune up and check for codes first. So that way you know what you have, and a good base line to measure from. The tune makes a *huge* difference on these engines.

By the way, how the heck did you get the gunk off the top of the computer board?
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.