No fender flares... Illegal??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No fender flares... Illegal???

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 05-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
MarineMachine
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No fender flares... Illegal???

Is it illegal to not have fender flares on your jeep?

Wondering if anyone knows if you are REQUIRED by law to have fender flares.

I like the look of my jeep without fender flares.

If you do know please tell me. Mainly concerned with the states of NY & CT.

Thanks Everyone,

--Devin

MarineMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's different from state to state. I don't know about the 2 that you listed. But I would imagine that a big state like NY would have some sort of requirements.

Around here you have to have coverage. But they have never enforced it. It's also illegal to modify any vehicles suspension. So spring overs, and even running without trac bars is illegal. But would you ever get a ticket for it? Probably not unless you're being a prick to a cop and give him a reason.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineMachine View Post
Is it illegal to not have fender flares on your jeep?

Wondering if anyone knows if you are REQUIRED by law to have fender flares.

I like the look of my jeep without fender flares.

If you do know please tell me. Mainly concerned with the states of NY & CT.

Thanks Everyone,

--Devin
I'm in NY. upstate and western. (Buffalo area) I've got the stock fender plastic and 31x10.5 and it passed inspection no probs. I think that's about the max with no lift. You should be OK as-is.

Yes, you are required by law to have fender coverage. Its remarkably lax tho, so its kinda a gray area. I wouldn't go wider than my 10.5's on stock flares. If you wanna go bigger than that, then most likely you'll have to spring for flares, lift, etc. and get to know the local cops.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 05-07-2011 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: clarity
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
I'm in NY. upstate and western. (Buffalo area) I've got the stock fender plastic and 31x10.5 and it passed inspection no probs. I think that's about the max with no lift. You should be OK as-is.
Oh yeah, I forgot you guys have to go through inspections up there.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot you guys have to go through inspections up there.
LOL Newbie yeah but actually I'm glad in a way. They're trying to push something like the Cali Emissions and all the local mechanics know that its total BS. On the other hand I'm glad that my guy checks things like tie-rods ends and brakes and wheel brgs. Yeah I can do that myself but not legally. And I've seen the stuff they put on the road in other states and I was just "WTF????" These ppl are *nuts* and I'm the one who has to pay insurance just to drive across their state!
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Different state by state like mentioned, absolutely illegal in CA, that's not to say that a person couldn't get away with it, but still illegal.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Njordan311
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I live in Connecticut too. If your ties stick out of the bodys width including the flares, it's illegal, if you have no flares, its definitely illegal unless u could find a way to push the tires in. Your car can also not exceed 8 ft wide.
Njordan311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Different state by state like mentioned, absolutely illegal in CA, that's not to say that a person couldn't get away with it, but still illegal.
Lol, really? I've never had an issue with my front tube fenders and they barely cover half the tread on my 12.50s. Same goes for the current tj flares on the rear.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

also illegal in NJ...though i still didnt put them on the rear yet and nobody has said anything in over a year...
--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
cubewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #10
18Dmedic
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
Lol, really? I've never had an issue with my front tube fenders and they barely cover half the tread on my 12.50s. Same goes for the current tj flares on the rear.
San Dogg PD guys must be really chill. Here in Sacramento, the cops pull people over all the freaking time for stupid **** like tint, mud flaps, flares, loud exhaust, etc...Especially the CHP. It seems like they're just itching to pull people over.

...but I know they're just doing their job.
18Dmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Dmedic View Post
San Dogg PD guys must be really chill. Here in Sacramento, the cops pull people over all the freaking time for stupid **** like tint, mud flaps, flares, loud exhaust, etc...Especially the CHP. It seems like they're just itching to pull people over.

...but I know they're just doing their job.

Ya its called "revenue generation".......

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

just passed inspection in NY and id say these tires stick out... just a little. Been this way for quite some time, never an issue.

Unread 05-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
I think it really just depends on the area. Up here you probably wouldn't have any issues unless you were full width without mud flaps or something, a little out of the flares isn't much of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code 27600
No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread.
Apparently the kids in the dome are even worried about the type of sunglasses we wear.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code 23120
No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing glasses having a temple width of one-half inch or more if any part of such temple extends below the horizontal center of the lens so as to interfere with lateral vision.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

According to National Highway Trafic Safety Agency standards it's not illegal but they it is required that tires be covered (mud flaps) if the tires stick out past the body/fenders.
I went through this in MA and was rejected by the jerk at the checking station but fought it and won by citing the NHTSA rule. Big pain in the arse but it's nice to know when you're right.
Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
Jeeper_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
It is illegal in CA. You're right, some can get away with it. I do. I have one in the rear (3" Smitty Built) and no cash to do the front yet after I removed the plastics and trashed them. Knock on wood. No hassle yet with my 33x12x15.
jeep4.jpg  
'97 Cherokee, 99+ intake, 62mm TB, 703 injectors (new), k&n intake, Hypertech III, 180* stat (1/8" drilled hole), 2.5" manifold 2 tail pipe (Hooker Maxflow & hi flow cat), Perf header, 4.5" zone lift, 32" GY Dura Trac, Rear head rests. Comp cam "231" & Perf head (LS1 BIG valves 2.02/1.62). 3 row alum radiator.
Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.