No electrical, Jeep dead, please help!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No electrical, Jeep dead, please help!!!!

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 08-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
UMDJesse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No electrical, Jeep dead, please help!!!!

I have a 92 wrangler 4.0 6cyl with 5 speed, 200,000 miles on it and it just died.
I have no electrical, wont turn over, no lights. If I put on the hazard I can hear the relay click but no lights. The parking brake light on the dash lights up but VERY faint.
What I have tried:
-New battery...nothing, still worn turn over, no power.
-Check ALL grounds....All grounds, checked cleaned, retightened, tested resistance, all are good. Still does nothing to fix the issues.
-Look for shorts. I could find no obvious shorts. NO FUSES ARE POPPED, which leads me to believe further that a short is not the issue.

Anyone have any ideas???

**Resolved!**
Ok, I got it running again. I replace the positive red battery cable from battery post to Main Fuse box and to starter (Same cable, two parts) and it fired right up.
Thanks to all replies, and thanks to Que89YJ for talking me through this on the phone!

UMDJesse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You must have a meter, you need to check the power at the PDC(Fuse block under the hood) check f5,6, and 8 with the meter and see if you have power. If yes then look at the second post about checking power at the ignition switch.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/u...elays-1169030/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...roblem-885427/
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
UMDJesse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well my box doesnt exactly line up with the pic in the thread, but I have good power to f9, f6, and f3 which in my car is f9(fuel ecu) f6(ignition) f3(head lamp syst)
Any ideas?
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
UMDJesse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok wait...so I just cleaned tightened checked everything and when I buttoned it all back up, put all the fuses back in. I went to try again...put the key in turned on the ignition and wham! I have power! Lights, I hear the fuel pump, everything. I go to turn the motor over then I hear a CLICK! and everything dies again. What gives????? fuseable link perhaps? What should I check???
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
UMDJesse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, NEW UPDATE!!! I just disconnected the battery cable while I came up to write this on a hunch...whaddya know...power again, until I try to turn it over then pop! lights out again. So Im leaning strong towards some kind of short, but Im NOT blowing any fuses. Once it "Pops" out, I disconnect the battery cable for a few and everything works again. So something is resetting itsself every time I disconnect the batter cable, then blowing everytime I try to start. So Im thinking fuseable link.....Now Im aware of the concept, but have no idea where they are or what they look like????
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not a short. Its an open. Use a set of jumper cables and jumper power from the battery to the pdc and battery negative to the chases. You have a bad power connection. Also check out you pdc wiring and the 40amp fuses.
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
UMDJesse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ill give it a shot. But Im missing something.....the power wire from the battery to the pdc is 100% a-ok, the red wire itself is only about 10 inches long and in good shape. Am I thinking of the wrong cable? and none of the fuses are blown. Also I tested all of the grounds, but I guess by jumping the battery directly to the chassis I might bypass something Im missing? Also, I did take the pdc out and check all the wires underneath and everything looks pretty good. a little corrosion bu nothing serious.
and just to be sure..the 'PDC' is the main fuse block under the hood right?
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. Sent you my number. Call me when you can
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would suggest you have a bad ground. Check the neg bat terminal, clean both terminals to bright and shiny, then follow the black lead. Disconnect each point in the engine compartment 3 I think. Do one at a time and test and you will find the culprit, otherwise you won't know which one solved the problem.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Replace your + battery cable.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
redneck_vb
1987 YJ Wrangler 

do you have a starter selonoid on that year?
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
UMDJesse
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I got it running again. I replace the positive red battery cable from battery post to Main Fuse box and to starter (Same cable, two parts) and it fired right up.
Thanks to all replies, and thanks to Que89YJ for talking me through this on the phone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.