No crank after hard rain, but after 4th try it cranks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No crank after hard rain, but after 4th try it cranks

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
Reddy89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No crank after hard rain, but after 4th try it cranks

Jeepy has never liked the rain.

So Tuesday morning, (it's been raining all week), I turn the key and it doesn't crank, not even a click from the under the hood. Lights turn on and everything else works.

After about the 4th try it cranks and fires to life.

Same issue Wednesday morning, no crank, after turning the key off/on-start about 4 tries it cranks and starts. It stopped raining that afternoon and when I went to start it it fired right up, no issues.

I thought it could be the CPS, but searching says if it were, it would crank but wouldn't start. Is this sensor related? Bad starter? Solenoid? I thought something could be getting wet but wouldn't it be impossible to start then?

Background:
Jeep is nuttered, I will admit the wiring part isn't the best but I did everything last year. We replaced the windshield hinges a few months ago and there is no visible sign of water leaking. The shop put in a new exhaust a couple weeks ago.

I haven't opened the hood yet because the sky is dropping buckets of rain! I did get under the jeep, and saw that the positive battery cable was nice and snug with the starter (replaced the cable several weeks ago).

Reddy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean your battery connections, as well as the cable to terminal connection if it is not the molded-in type. The white crud that builds up absorbs moisture wich in turn limits the available current.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Reddy89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
Clean your battery connections, as well as the cable to terminal connection if it is not the molded-in type. The white crud that builds up absorbs moisture wich in turn limits the available current.
They are spotless, the ground on the engine block could be cleaned of oil though.

It happened again this morning, I then drove it for half an hour, then it sat for an hour, went back out and it cranked on the first try.
Reddy89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.