no clutch- 87 Jeep Wrangler YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > no clutch- 87 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
gerrymurphy

no clutch- 87 Jeep Wrangler YJ

I have a 5 speed 87 Jeep Wrangler YJ (6 cylinder) and I completely lost the clutch today. The pedal goes all the way down and I am not able to shift gears. I believe it is the clutch slave cylinder. This is an 87 that had the peugot transmission. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction as to where I might find instructions as to how to replace the slave cylinder?

gerrymurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Google since I do not know and it could be external or internal slave. I am not versed in what the standard jeeps came with by year

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

I have a link to the FSMs if you want to know how to fix it. Its internal and a major pain in behind to get at all the parts you got to replace....
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

replace the tranny as well! you will thank me.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
gerrymurphy

Jeepsr4me--I would love the link to the FSM if you could provide it. Thanks much.
gerrymurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
beakerbload
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've had some issues with my clutch as well recently on my 87. One thing I keep seeing repeated over and over is make sure you know what needs replaced. From what I gather if your slave cylinder is bad you're going to see brake fluid around the bell housing. If it is the master you're going to see fluid around it on the firewall. Your clutch is internal with that transmission and the tranny needs pulled back. If you're not seeing fluid on the bell housing I'd consider bleeding (and flushing) the fluid first perhaps locating a leak elsewhere in the process. if that doesn't work, then the slave may be gone. here's the a autozone instructional for your transmission.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...08ae20#hd1-1-1

And here is the slave cylinder instructional

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528008ae3f

I am not very experienced so if anyone else has input you should pay attention to that. I've been researching it for the last few days and that's what I've found so far. And it makes sense to buy a premium slave so you don't have to do it again, but when mine does go I'll either replace the whole clutch while I'm down there or just replace the tranny to a better one. We'll see.
beakerbload is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.