No Brakes??? HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No Brakes??? HELP

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
MoreBassXD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No Brakes??? HELP

So I just swapped a dana 60 into the rear of my jeep. Everything is hooked up, not leaks or anything. I bled the brakes 3 times. When the vehicle is not running there is normal pressure, once the vehicle is started there is little to no pressure. I pulled the vacuum line off of the booster while it was running and the brakes go back to normal.

What could this be? I don't see it being bad seals on the master cylinder because it only sat not running for a couple of weeks and always had fluid in it. I adjusted the brakes on the rear of the new axle and you can hear them rub all the way around when you spin the tire so there isnt excess space in there.

Please help, this is urgent, I start school on thursday and need to get it driving.

P.S. - Can't test drive it to see if it stops due to the stock rear drive shaft being too long and too thin to use with a dana 60, towing it to drivelines soon to have a new one made.

Last edited by MoreBassXD; 09-01-2014 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: added info
MoreBassXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you got rear drums? I'd check to make sure the star wheels are properly adjusted.

If you can't get that initial squeeze on the brakes for centering the shoes, it can feel like they are properly adjusted (slight dragging) even if they are not.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
MoreBassXD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
you got rear drums? I'd check to make sure the star wheels are properly adjusted.

If you can't get that initial squeeze on the brakes for centering the shoes, it can feel like they are properly adjusted (slight dragging) even if they are not.
Oh, I do seem to have forgotten to spin the wheel and slam on the brakes XD maybe that could be part of the problem, but I still don't see why it would have pressure when it was not running but doesn't when it is running.
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have kind of a: step on the pedal, front brakes engage, pedal gets a bit slower/firmer, then pedal keeps going down and then bottoms out feel?

That's pretty typical of the back brakes not engaging in time before bottoming out.

Best of luck, hope its just out of adjustment (free to fix!)
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
MoreBassXD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you have kind of a: step on the pedal, front brakes engage, pedal gets a bit slower/firmer, then pedal keeps going down and then bottoms out feel?

That's pretty typical of the back brakes not engaging in time before bottoming out.

Best of luck, hope its just out of adjustment (free to fix!)
No, its completely solid with no booster but once the booster is added to the equation there is no back pressure at all.
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #6
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hopefully it is just boosting all that pressure to the back brakes then. They are moving as far as the master cylinder will allow, but still not touching.

Let us know if readjusting the star wheel doesn't work and then we can look for another problem.
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
MoreBassXD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
hopefully it is just boosting all that pressure to the back brakes then. They are moving as far as the master cylinder will allow, but still not touching.

Let us know if readjusting the star wheel doesn't work and then we can look for another problem.
Alright, thanks, I'll try tomorrow

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.