NO Brakes in 4LOW - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NO Brakes in 4LOW

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 06-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #31
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

anybody?

Unread 06-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #32
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you are running stock brakes otherwise I don't think you would benefit from that MC. It has a larger bore IIRC so unless you are running calipers that need more fluid volume you will just end up increasing your pedal effort. Also, I'm not sure if the e350 MC would seal to the booster (isn't there an o-ring seal on the 95 booster?). I'd just get a working replacement for the leaking part and you should be fine.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #33
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
If you are running stock brakes otherwise I don't think you would benefit from that MC. It has a larger bore IIRC so unless you are running calipers that need more fluid volume you will just end up increasing your pedal effort. Also, I'm not sure if the e350 MC would seal to the booster (isn't there an o-ring seal on the 95 booster?). I'd just get a working replacement for the leaking part and you should be fine.
thanks. Ill just get a new 95 mc
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #34
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ever think it could be vacuum related? 4L requires engine vacuum to pull the shift fork over on the half shaft. Could explain the 2wd 4wd difference.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
imcfarland93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #35
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcfarland93 View Post
Ever think it could be vacuum related? 4L requires engine vacuum to pull the shift fork over on the half shaft. Could explain the 2wd 4wd difference.
Reading Comprehension- You need to get some. This thread is about brakes. Not the 4wd not working.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #36
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirttracker18 View Post
I see no reason for the shop to touch anything to do with the brakes when changing gears.

I would have to think the two are unrelated.

In addition there is no relationship between your brakes and your transfer case.
Switching to 4low cannot affect your brakes. It may amplify an existing problem though.

4wl just gives more power to the wheels and is more likely to overpower weak brakes. Feel lucky you noticed it in 4WL and not 60mph emergency.
Get the brakes fixed!

one caveat.. if for some reason a PO was brain damaged enough to use the same vacum line to feed the brake booster and the lockup motor AND the hose came off the axle then when you engage 4WD there could be a loss in brake boost........but gawd I hope no one was that stupid.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #37
g_oneill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMidget View Post
Sounds like the rear shoes need adjusting... in 4 low I don't care how good your front pads are they won't hold all 4 tires alone and the rear tires keep pushing unrestricted over powering the front brakes

The gear change just increased an existing problem you hadn't noticed... since I assume you went to lower gears now the extra leverage makes it really stand out
I had this issue after a recent gear change. Front tires started cupping bad because rears were not grabbing. If you have rear drums usually the rust ring on the drum will not allow you to put the drum on properly. Plus if they removed the axles, they had to disconnect brake line in the rear. Air or rear adjustment should be first checks.
g_oneill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #38
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Reading Comprehension- You need to get some. This thread is about brakes. Not the 4wd not working.
Do you understand how the brakes and the 4WD both operate using the SAME Vacuum system, that comment was a little uncalled for.

imcfarland93 has a valid point, if there is a vacuum leak between the transfer case and the front axle fork actuator, then only when he shifts into 4w would there be a vacuum leak, and he could be losing vacuum at the brake booster, might be something to double check!

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #39
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11 View Post

Do you understand how the brakes and the 4WD both operate using the SAME Vacuum system, that comment was a little uncalled for.

imcfarland93 has a valid point, if there is a vacuum leak between the transfer case and the front axle fork actuator, then only when he shifts into 4w would there be a vacuum leak, and he could be losing vacuum at the brake booster, might be something to double check!
The cad doesn't pull enough vacuum to kill the brakes otherwise YJs would be wrecked every where. Also the op said 4wd was working so again 4wd is not causing a vacuum leak. Also shifting from hi to low chamges no vacuum anywhere. That is all done in the tcase.

Also it would not be a soft pedal if it was a booster issue. It would be a hard pedal

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #40
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If everyone would just read his damn profile they would see he doesnt have stock axles, nor transfer case!!
Straight from his profile.
Year & Model
1988 YJ Wrangler
Engine
Transmission
turbo 350
Transfer Case
dana 300..chrome moly ft and rr Fred shafts
Front Axle
full width 10bolt w/30 spline chrome moly axles
and detroit locker
Rear Axle
full width gm 12 bolt w/detroit locker
Gear Ratio
Suspension
SOA, 4" rubicon, 1" shackles,
2"body
Tires
42 tsl

OP my buddy has pretty much the same setup as you (axle wise)and he just swapped in the E350 master cylinder and his brakes finally work properly. I also run an E350 with a dana30/ford 8.8 and it did wonders on my braking ablillities. Not sayin you have to go that route but it sure helped my buddies rig. I used a 1985 ford Van E350 master cylinder Part # M2008 and to fit the jeep hard lines to the new master cylinder I used 1/4x5/16 weatherhead # 7828 and 1/4x3/16 weatherhead # 7917 fittings.
It isnt a complete bolt in. You have to drill out the holes on the master cylinder to fit the smaller pattern of the yj booster and the ears of ther master cylinder need to be ground down a bit to fit on the booster other than that its a real easy swap.
Good Luck
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #41
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
If everyone would just read his damn profile they would see he doesnt have stock axles, nor transfer case!!
Straight from his profile.
Year & Model
1988 YJ Wrangler
Engine
Transmission
turbo 350
Transfer Case
dana 300..chrome moly ft and rr Fred shafts
Front Axle
full width 10bolt w/30 spline chrome moly axles
and detroit locker
Rear Axle
full width gm 12 bolt w/detroit locker
Gear Ratio
Suspension
SOA, 4" rubicon, 1" shackles,
2"body
Tires
42 tsl

OP my buddy has pretty much the same setup as you (axle wise)and he just swapped in the E350 master cylinder and his brakes finally work properly. I also run an E350 with a dana30/ford 8.8 and it did wonders on my braking ablillities. Not sayin you have to go that route but it sure helped my buddies rig. I used a 1985 ford Van E350 master cylinder Part # M2008 and to fit the jeep hard lines to the new master cylinder I used 1/4x5/16 weatherhead # 7828 and 1/4x3/16 weatherhead # 7917 fittings.
It isnt a complete bolt in. You have to drill out the holes on the master cylinder to fit the smaller pattern of the yj booster and the ears of ther master cylinder need to be ground down a bit to fit on the booster other than that its a real easy swap.
Good Luck
Thanks man. I appreciate all the info, very helpful. And I don't think anyone reads the profile on any thread tell you the truth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.