NO Brakes in 4LOW - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NO Brakes in 4LOW

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you're feeling good about no air in the lines, seems the next step would be master cylinder. Are you still running stock lines? I know you're turning some big meats, if you're running old lines might be good to change them, but unless their bulging, leaking or crimped they should not cause this.

Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
If you're feeling good about no air in the lines, seems the next step would be master cylinder. Are you still running stock lines? I know you're turning some big meats, if you're running old lines might be good to change them, but unless their bulging, leaking or crimped they should not cause this.
I'm sure there is no air in the lines. I'm running stock hard lines but I'm running long stainless braided lines front and rear. No leaks no bulging. I haven't lost any fluid either.

I guess im gonna buy a master cylinder this week.
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here is my brutally honest assessment of this situation...

You had gears put in your jeep. The guy was probably lazy and didn't even unhook your calipers but instead just unhooked the brakes and figured he'd bleed them afterwards. Or he didn't even bleed them at all. Or he crimped a line or didn't get the connection between the rear brake line "right".

Either way your entire braking system has been compromised by something seemingly small but might be hard to diagnose.

You're on track to start something that you're probably not qualified to do (brake overhaul/master cylinder replacement) and you probably don't have the tools to do (have brake line flaring tool?).

My gut feeling is that you have air in your lines and need to go buy $15 (two quarts) of brake fluid and just cycle it through. If that doesn't solve your problem you need to mash on your brakes on some clean pavement for a couple minutes so you can find the leak. Act like Dr. House on this one...coincidences don't happen.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
SuperMidget

Sounds like the rear shoes need adjusting... in 4 low I don't care how good your front pads are they won't hold all 4 tires alone and the rear tires keep pushing unrestricted over powering the front brakes

The gear change just increased an existing problem you hadn't noticed... since I assume you went to lower gears now the extra leverage makes it really stand out
SuperMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #20
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Act like Dr. House on this one...coincidences don't happen.
I'd have to agree. I also agree with others who have indicated that you take it back to the guy who did your gears. If everything was working before you took it in and now it's not, it's their problem, not yours.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it. As soon as you touch it, you bought it!

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
Personally, I wouldn't touch it. As soon as you touch it, you bought it!
This. A reputable shop would take a look at the issue and fix it if it was cased by their mechanic. If it stopped fine before, they need to fix it.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
SuperMidget

What was the gear change from/to?
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMidget View Post
What was the gear change from/to?
4.56 to 5.38
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #24
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
This. A reputable shop would take a look at the issue and fix it if it was cased by their mechanic. If it stopped fine before, they need to fix it.
that's the problem. i've dealt with these guys before and have never had a problem with them. I brought this to their attention before I pulled off the lot. They claim that they did nothing to the breaks nor disconnect any brake lines. I thought they were a reputable shop but when I left that day a sure felt SCREWED.
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMidget View Post
Sounds like the rear shoes need adjusting... in 4 low I don't care how good your front pads are they won't hold all 4 tires alone and the rear tires keep pushing unrestricted over powering the front brakes

The gear change just increased an existing problem you hadn't noticed... since I assume you went to lower gears now the extra leverage makes it really stand out
I'm going to give that a try. I've only messed with the front so far.
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:

You're on track to start something that you're probably not qualified to do (brake overhaul/master cylinder replacement) and you probably don't have the tools to do (have brake line flaring tool?).
Ignorant assessment
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
SuperMidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1330 View Post

I'm going to give that a try. I've only messed with the front so far.
I am only going with that suggestion because its the exact same issue I am fixing on my wife's 90 for a mud ride memorial weekend

New fronts but the rears don't hold at all right now
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #28
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1330 View Post

Ignorant assessment
I apologize. You said you knew the lines were bled because your lines werent bulging or leaking. This made me think you had no idea you knew what you're talking about because they aren't symptoms of air in brake lines -- your problems are.

I guess I stand corrected. Replace your already newer, oversized 95 master cylinder and let us know how it goes.

FWIW: your better master cylinder and booster will mask air in the lines better than your original 88.

Sorry for offending you with my ignorant statement.

Edit: I just considered how I feel when *******es comment on my build thread. Although sometimes they're right, I don't like hearing it. I really believe a fluid flush is worth trying. I need to be more respectful. Sorry.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #29
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
I apologize.
No worries.

Quote:
Replace your already newer, oversized 95 master cylinder and let us know how it goes.

This is what I'm going to do
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #30
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Found the problem...Its a leaking master cylinder. I was told to use an E350 master cylinder. Is this a good fix? if so what year do I need to use?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.