No brake lights! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No brake lights!

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No brake lights!

Fuses good
Brake switch good
blinkers work
Parking lights work
Reverse lights work... what gives? Secret fuse or relay?

Thanks for any hints

91BoD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How do you know that the brake switch is good? Have you checked your ground wires? Have you checked your bulbs?
R3V413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Took it out and tested with a multimeter.
Haven't checked all of them, locations?
Both bulbs are good, blinkers use the same circuit.
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
kphimself
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is it the right light bulb. I've seen people stick a 1156 in a 1157 socket and it won't work becouse the 1157 is a dual filament bulb and the 1156 isn't.
kphimself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
alilredjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The turn signal switch may be bad even though that the blinkers work because Mother Chrysler used to wire the brake lights through the emergency flashers years ago.
I'm not sure if that was still the norm in the 90s.
Just for the record, I've replaced two turn signal switches in the past when I had brake light problems and that is what solved my problems.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #92

'92 WRANGLER, 2.5 Litre, 5 Speed, Rag Top, Superwinch LP8500, Cepek 130W Driving Lights, 31x10.50/AT with no lift, Of course! It rubs!
alilredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #6
Grenadierbeef
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Had the same issue a couple of weeks ago during reassembly of my 92 yj after bedliner install. Basically the brake switch can and will give you a false reading. While installed no brake lights. When removed from jeep switch was working. I did find in my trouble shooting a fuse that was loose because some where in this jeeps past somebody thought out was a good idea to jam something into the fuse block. Fixed that issue and reinstalled brake switch. Brake lights work however, now sometimes they will not cut off. Brake light switch is sticking. Just my 2
Grenadierbeef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Rammer500
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have power going to the switch and back out? Check using a test light. I've seen switches test good with a meter, but the contacts can't pass enough power to light the lights. The meter doesn't put any load on the switch. Next, just follow the circuit to the turn signal swtich, checking connections and wiring.
99 TJ 4.0 5 Speed Sport, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, 1.25 Body Lift, 1" MML, SYE and CV shaft,JKS Quicker Disconnects, 33x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains,4.56 gears, Super35 w/ Ected Locker, Warn 8274 and some other stuff.
2014 Rubicon Stock
Rammer500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Did you pull the housings off of the tub and check the mounting screws for rust?
When I had issues with my brake lights, they were doing all kinds of strange things, it ended up being a bad ground connection (stock lights use the mounting screws to ground to the tub).
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thread can be deleted, found another blown fuse. All is working now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.