Nice Suspension Setup Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nice Suspension Setup Help

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 02-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Suspension Setup Help

So I have a '92 Jeep YJ with a 4" Lift that's probably 10 or more years old. It has 33" tires and it has a slip yoke eliminator. I bought this Jeep a little over a year ago and the guy I bought it from said the slip yoke eliminator was recently added. The shocks on this thing are dead, it might as well not have any at all . So it's time to fork out some money and redo all of the suspension. I'm talking bushings, lift kit, control arms. Another thing, everything under the Jeep is covered in a nasty grim, so once I remove the old suspension, I hope to take time to clean the underside as best as I can.

Now onto what I am wanting to do/accomplish and I hope you guys can point me in the right direction. In a year or so, I plan on upgrading wheels and tires to 35" so I think the new lift kit should be higher than 4". I've been told a lot to go with Rubicon Express and their stuff seems really nice. They have a 4.5" Extreme Duty Kit which is really nice http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-li...ong-arm-yj.htm and they have a Spring-Over Conversion type lift kit http://www.jeep4x4center.com/5-5-spr...ub-re5015.html. Which of these would be a better choice? What other kind of bushings and control arms would I need to replace everything?

SKYOFSCORPIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No control arms on a YJ. There's a lot more to going SOA than what's in that "kit" and most of us here will tell you not to use a kit anyhow. If you're going to get the RE springs definitely go with the extreme duty kit, I'd also recommend you look into BDS or OME for springs as well. I went with the BDS springs and would do so again without hesitation. I have no experience with OME but wouldn't hesitate to use them in the future based on the praise they receive here.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

BDS in the SUA height of your choice for the win.

/end thread

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have been looking for the same thing. Eventually want 35's. OME I think only goes to 2.5" lift(??) The RE and BDS are the way to go. I saw on RE website that with the 4.5" you can tuck 35's with slight modding(trim fenders or additional 1" shackle/body lift). The SOA is more work from what I have seen. Good luck
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just looked at the BDS stuff and saw they have a 6" lift which I bet would work. http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma...4&yr=1987-1995

The SOA may be overkill for what I am wanting. Do you think the BDS has everything I will need?
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYOFSCORPIONS View Post
Do you think the BDS has everything I will need?
Yes

They are also a vendor here on JF, check out the vendor thread toward the top of the forum.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just to address some additional things you didn't mention.

First, 6" is more than enough for 35's. You could get by with less and avoid some of the issues associated with taller springs. I'd consider a set of their 3.5" springs and a small shackle lift (.5"-1") in conjunciton with a 1" BL or go for a set of their 5" springs sans the rest. Either is a decent method of achieving the same thing.

Adding TJ flares can also open up the wheel wells a little (requires a little body trimming, nothing serious). Either way you go, BDS, OME or RE springs are all good choices.

Secondly, for 35's you're going to need to start addressing drivetrain strength issues as well, specifically the rear axle and maybe an upgrade to the front axle shafts if you do any wheeling. Lots of info on ways to do both of these on the forum.

Good luck with your build. You're well down the right track with the springs you're considering.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good, because I plan to upgrade to dana 44's with a locker before I even do the 35" tires.

What issues are associated with taller springs btw?
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd go with either the BDS 5" or RE 4.5" Extreme Duty. My brother has the RE 2.5" Extreme Duty (now discontinued) and he loves it. He's had it for probably 6 or 7 years now, maybe even more actually, and it's still working well. Like others have said, OME is quality, but they don't make anything even close to tall enough to clear 35's. The reason I'd go w/ the BDS 5" over the 6" is that I believe they come w/ the same springs, and if you need more height, you can always add the taller shackles later.

SOA is definitely in play at that height and tire size, and if you're a skilled welder/fab artist or have some friends who are, not to mention some coin to drop on steering and other issues related to SOA, it's certainly worth considering. It won't just be a bolt on swap, but if you're going w/ Dana 44's anyway, you'll already be doing a fair amount of custom work w/ spring perches, brake lines, steering, etc, so going SOA isn't necessarily much more work. One additional part (out of many probably) that you'll need to buy or make for an SOA conversion is a traction bar for the rear to control axle wrap. I've read that it's a must on an SOA YJ.

Utah Jeepcrew #26
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYOFSCORPIONS
Good, because I plan to upgrade to dana 44's with a locker before I even do the 35" tires.

What issues are associated with taller springs btw?
I know this is a popular idea, but it seems like a lot of work for not a lot of payoff to me.

In my opinion, the Dana 44 isn't significantly stronger than the Dana 30 for the front, but it's a lot of work.

Rear axle swaps are easier, and a Ford 8.8 is much stronger than a Dana 44 & is easier/cheaper to find.

A well done Dana 30 & Ford 8.8 combination is a pretty good arrangement, in my opinion.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #11
95 Lowbuck

4" is about the most you should go with a stock length spring.
Anything more and the spring's arc will limit the travel.
As said a B.L. and or a shackle lift will help with fitting 35" tires.
SOA is a lot of work but if done right produces great results.
95 Lowbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Lowbuck View Post
4" is about the most you should go with a stock length spring.
Anything more and the spring's arc will limit the travel.
As said a B.L. and or a shackle lift will help with fitting 35" tires.
SOA is a lot of work but if done right produces great results.
I disagree with this. I installed 1" shackles and the extra length gives the spring enough room to flatten out. Notice how the drivers side spring up front is completely flat? And yes, I was retesting for bumpstops.
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Would the Dana 30 able to handle 35" tires?

The SOA sounds like a great setup, but probably more than I really need. So I guess it's between the RE 4.5" and the BDS 5". RE recommends a 1" body lift to use 35" tires. Is a body lift or longer shackles better?
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYOFSCORPIONS View Post
Would the Dana 30 able to handle 35" tires?

The SOA sounds like a great setup, but probably more than I really need. So I guess it's between the RE 4.5" and the BDS 5". RE recommends a 1" body lift to use 35" tires. Is a body lift or longer shackles better?
You can run the Dana 30 with 35" tires. I run mine on 36" tires but I have built mine up a little bit. For the springs, I would suggest a BDS 5" with a shackle lift as the RE kit has a shackle lift included. Buy the springs separate and piece it together to save some monies. Longer shackles will help flex out the arch in the spring
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JB View Post
I have been looking for the same thing. Eventually want 35's. OME I think only goes to 2.5" lift(??) The RE and BDS are the way to go. I saw on RE website that with the 4.5" you can tuck 35's with slight modding(trim fenders or additional 1" shackle/body lift). The SOA is more work from what I have seen. Good luck
ome 36R are over 3" lift. add shackles and your good, if you doin SOA that is all you need...

SOA with OME 36R springs, OME greasable shackles, no BL, 33 TSLs rockey road OTT highsteer.... its tall for sure but not bad.... NO tracs NO sway

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep yj , rubicon express , suspension lift

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.