Next step up from a Dana 30? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Next step up from a Dana 30?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
The metal filings you are finding are the reason why...not enough clearance for the larger gear.
4.10:1 gear sets will physically be smaller then 3.07:1 ratio.

This whole thread doesnt make sense.

OP get a front axle from a 2 wheel drive cherokee and put that in. No more problems.

Unread 06-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The step up is the 44. Reverse rotation is superior to the other 44s. Better yet if you can get one with thick tubes(1/2") and HD knuckles.

Now for your bad gear setup. If you plan to keep the axle more than a year or so you really ought to rework it before you really mess things up. That little of miles should yield NO metal at all. If you've done it once you can do it again. My guess is that all you need to do is re shim things. Sounds like you not meshing properly.

Maybe get some veteran help this time around. IMO. Doing it by yourself for the first time AND being rushed is a disaster waiting to happen.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post

OP get a front axle from a 2 wheel drive cherokee and put that in. No more problems.
Smaller? The sets I've seen are more problematic when you get lower. The ring gear gets too big and fat. And the pinion gets tiny and frail.

LOL at the Cherokee front end tho.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Leaf to coil mounts?
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

... wow. You're awefully helpful. Jump off a metaphoric bridge. Not sure why users like you comment nonsense.

Question is simple: will the pinion wear out a groove in the differential allowing me to use the carrier its installed in now. I admittedd my mistake/neglect. Gtfo if you have absolutely nothing to add.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #21
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey comeon Guys. Tempers are flaring a bit and I think we need a little hug-a-thon

Unread 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #22
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OP did you go from 3.07 to 4.10's?

Unread 06-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
... wow. You're awefully helpful. Jump off a metaphoric bridge. Not sure why users like you comment nonsense.

Question is simple: will the pinion wear out a groove in the differential allowing me to use the carrier its installed in now. I admittedd my mistake/neglect. Gtfo if you have absolutely nothing to add.
We do because people like you contradict yourself and ask questions that make no sense what so ever.

"will the pinion wear out a groove in the differential allowing me to use the carrier its installed in now?"

WTF does this even mean?
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #24
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

"will the pinion wear out a groove in the differential allowing me to use the carrier its installed in now?"

WTF does this even mean?
...Touche

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.