Next step up from a Dana 30? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Next step up from a Dana 30?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Next step up from a Dana 30?

I recently swapped the gears out in my dana 30 and I believe I monumentally messed it up. Im not sure, to be honest. I was being rushed throughout the install. I wasnt able to double check anything and it was my first time.

The diff cover gasket was garbage so I redid it. After roughly 40 miles (with no drive shaft attached) it already had metal shavings. Not a lot nor big. But a decent amount. And there was markings on the carrier itself as well. I dont know why. I ended up needing a huge pinion position shim size. Like .110. I also used a cheap dial indicator. I dont think I set the bl properly. Im honestly not sure.

Im gonna put the drive shaft on this weekend and see what happens.

If I bust it im gonna get a new axle. Whats the stronger alternative to a dana 30?

Not looking for anything overly crazy. I jut know the turdy-5 is vastly inferior to the Ford 8.8 (which is what I have). Opinions?

idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Setting up gears is a bit of a chore and you need to do a lot of research. When you think you're ready...read some more. I actually did my gears on my own and it was rewarding but time consuming. It sounds like you may have a problem. What gears did you have in the D30 before? Did you swap a new carrier in for the lower gears? (if you didn't have 4.10's from the factory?) Did you measure the pinion bearing preload? Did you have a good wear pattern? Were the gears new or used?

If you get a new front axle maybe look into a D44 and have someone install the gears for you to be certain it's done proper. I think the D30 is fine for your tire size. Why not just find a 2.5L YJ front D30 and pick up an 8.8 with the factory 4.10's?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The Dana 30 axle is plenty strong for most applications if its set up properly. It sounds that it may be cheaper to just have a shop look at your gear job than to spend time purchasing and swapping a Dana 44.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm confused. Why would you bother installing the driveshaft knowing you have an issue? You would be better served to have someone take a look at your pattern before you destroy everything and have to start over. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I am kinda partial to white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's racist, Chris.
DirtKar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Setting up gears is a bit of a chore and you need to do a lot of research. When you think you're ready...read some more. I actually did my gears on my own and it was rewarding but time consuming. It sounds like you may have a problem. What gears did you have in the D30 before? Did you swap a new carrier in for the lower gears? (if you didn't have 4.10's from the factory?) Did you measure the pinion bearing preload? Did you have a good wear pattern? Were the gears new or used?

If you get a new front axle maybe look into a D44 and have someone install the gears for you to be certain it's done proper. I think the D30 is fine for your tire size. Why not just find a 2.5L YJ front D30 and pick up an 8.8 with the factory 4.10's?
I had 3.07's. From what I read I didnt need a new carrier. But that could be wrong. I read a lot about the gear swap. Preload was good. They were new gears.

Bl was good, wear pattern was acceptable,

If it comes down to it, ill most likely do d30 from a 2.5. But theyre expensive down here. I already have an 8.8 with factory 4.11's.

Quote:
The Dana 30 axle is plenty strong for most applications if its set up properly. It sounds that it may be cheaper to just have a shop look at your gear job than to spend time purchasing and swapping a Dana 44.
My final goal is 35's and that's it. From what I read on my gear pamphlet was largest safest recommended to be 32" tires.
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
I'm confused. Why would you bother installing the driveshaft knowing you have an issue? You would be better served to have someone take a look at your pattern before you destroy everything and have to start over. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I dont know if I have an issue... I suspect I might. But I am not certain whatsoever. My pattern was fine when I put my diff cover on. I suspect nothing has changed considering no bolt or nut came loose.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
Im not sure, to be honest. I was being rushed throughout the install. I wasnt able to double check anything and it was my first time.

I dont think I set the bl properly. Im honestly not sure.
Quote:
Bl was good, wear pattern was acceptable,
Quote:
I dont know if I have an issue... I suspect I might. But I am not certain whatsoever.
It sounds like you were rushed to the point of having no idea of how your set up went. Like others suggested, before I'd put it under load, I'd take it to a shop and let them check it out, or have someone experienced in installing gear sets take a look. Like Canman suggested, the 30 is fine for most applications. I've asked more of mine while having 35s on it than I probably should and she's always taken it and asked for more.

The 30 isn't your problem right now, so don't make it one by grenading it with a gear set up you aren't comfortable with. Take care of the problem you know about instead of making a second one.
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I thought you needed a carrier for 3.55's or higher to run 4.11's.
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post

It sounds like you were rushed to the point of having no idea of how your set up went. Like others suggested, before I'd put it under load, I'd take it to a shop and let them check it out, or have someone experienced in installing gear sets take a look. Like Canman suggested, the 30 is fine for most applications. I've asked more of mine while having 35s on it than I probably should and she's always taken it and asked for more.

The 30 isn't your problem right now, so don't make it one by grenading it with a gear set up you aren't comfortable with. Take care of the problem you know about instead of making a second one.
I mean, in retrospect it is completely my fault. I was so concerned with the difficulty if the install I forgot about the carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
You do. I was wrong.

My question is this: I have driven it over 100 miles with no power / tension on the pinion.

Like I said prior it did leave markings on my carrier. I have two questions:

#1) What is the actual difference in carriers? I assume it has the same diameter for the ring gear holder. Does the housing for the spider gears have a smaller housing? Thus the spider gears are slightly smaller.

#2) Will my pinion have already etched its way through the outside housing of my carrier and mark out its path already? I.e. will I be able to use this carrier even though technically the structural strength of it is compromised?

Of course im looking to save timr and money and I was wondering if anyone had any actual insight other than hearsay or "I read it once." I understand the carriers are different, but like I asked... why?
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The metal filings you are finding are the reason why...not enough clearance for the larger gear.
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The metal filings you are finding are the reason why...not enough clearance for the larger gear.
I understand that. My question was is it possible that the pinion, after 150 or more miles, has dug the path through the carrier already?
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it is. You might get in there with a die grinder and dig a little more clearance for it if you feel comfortable with it being that way.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I thought it was 3.73 and up.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I thought it was 3.73 and up.
That's what i've been told too. I have 3.73's and was told that was the cut off.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its 3.73 and up calls for a different carrier. Not really answering my query, though.

This friday after work im gonna take the cover off and see what the damage is... if it looks grim ill push the pinion back and remove the ring gear. If not I might just try it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.