Newer Computer PCM pin-out diagram HERE! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newer Computer PCM pin-out diagram HERE!

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Newer Computer PCM pin-out diagram HERE!

I had a hard time tracking down this info. Since I was finally able to find it, I an sharing here so other searches will be able to access it.

This is the pin-out for the PCM, ECM, computer, brain, or whatever you like to call it for a 2000 Jeep XJ. I believe this applies to '96-'06 vehicles. If I'm wrong, please post corrections.

Yeah, I know this is the YJ forum, but there are many folks using the cherokees as donors these days. And I'm betting the '96 and up YJ is very close to this schematic.

This is the unit with three plugs going into it like this:

Here are the three plug's pin-outs:

Number 1:

Number 2:

Number 3:

UPDATE: Pin 17 on the gray connector contains a black/pink wire. This is the Check engine light wire to be used in the dash for retrieving codes. Use this wire as a ground (I used a LED)

White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
five-string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
sikpupy
1997 ZJ 

I needed a 1997 XJ pinout but, hey, every bit helps on the web, thanks.
sikpupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Trying to convert from OBD2 96 up to OBD1 95 and down is going to be a nightmare for the average person.

Good information but it will be FAR easier to stick with OBD1 or OBD2 matched parts/configurations. Not saying it cannot be done but why expend all the extra effort.?
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's been done here on a few of the YJ's. Thanks for the info. Did you just do it to yours?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
It's been done here on a few of the YJ's. Thanks for the info. Did you just do it to yours?
Did they convert to OBD2 or just use the harness and adapt it to OBD1 ?

Asking as I have considered changing to OBD2 to get more flexibility in programming the engine cals for the stroker.

Don`t know of any software that interfaces with OBD1 but there are several that will interface with OBD2.
Unread 10-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have to do the under hood stuff and depending on what year you have some mods to the IP. It's a little more difficult but not too bad. There is no way to flash the OBD1 controllers so you are right, if you stroke it you want the OBDII. The engine block is the same so it's wiring mod and swap. If you ever decide to do it I would gladly come over and lend a hand. You aren't too far from the tech center. I use to sail out of North Star on the Clinton River.
Unread 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You have to do the under hood stuff and depending on what year you have some mods to the IP. It's a little more difficult but not too bad. There is no way to flash the OBD1 controllers so you are right, if you stroke it you want the OBDII. The engine block is the same so it's wiring mod and swap. If you ever decide to do it I would gladly come over and lend a hand. You aren't too far from the tech center. I use to sail out of North Star on the Clinton River.
I just might do that. You recall I completely rewired the YJ from end to end so the engine harness doesn't bother me. The IP is aftermarket so that to would be easy to change over also.

The stroker is running pretty well but I`d still like to trim the curves a bit.

Did`nt know you were a salior. Remember George Laplante ?

Might just take you up on the offer.
Unread 10-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, if you knew George then you knew NorthStar! I crewed on a Thomas 35 until I got hurt in a car crash. I havent been the same since. The Owner of the the boat I crewed on was Dennis Meagher. He was the county planner for Macomb. His son sails the boat now. Great guy, great family, great crew, and many many good times.

I remember the talks we had when you were wiring it. You probably have the best wired YJ out there! Let me know. It would be fun to do.
Unread 10-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow, if you knew George then you knew NorthStar! I crewed on a Thomas 35 until I got hurt in a car crash. I havent been the same since. The Owner of the the boat I crewed on was Dennis Meagher. He was the county planner for Macomb. His son sails the boat now. Great guy, great family, great crew, and many many good times.

I remember the talks we had when you were wiring it. You probably have the best wired YJ out there! Let me know. It would be fun to do.
I`ll call you. Still have your phone #
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #10
enkeivette

Perfect, thank you!
enkeivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have been looking for this for a week. Thank you so much for posting!

EDIT: Using this diagram to diagnose my charging problem (continuity test for the field connector lead) on my '01 I noticed that what is labeled as "3" above is the far left connector.
Unread 07-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Shane1447

Hello friends. In need of some technical expertise. This pinout was half of what i was looking for. I shorted out the injector circuit somehow and now they read no ground, no start. I found the 6 injector drivers on the circuit board. Where do they all share a ground? Any clue what must be replaced to have the ecu send signal to the injectors again? It still communicates via obd. All 6 injectors share a continuous wire. This reads continuity to ground at about 24 ohms when key is on, nothing when key off.
Shane1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
Shane1447

Im pointing to the circuit that reads continuity with pin 12 of the center connector, whis is an injector driver. The other 5 of the same circuit are the other drivers.
tmp_imag1794-1758227183.jpg  
Unread 07-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #14
Shane1447

This green/ salmon wre goes to all 6 injectors, and shares continuity with pins 9 6,5,4,16,15,12 on the center white connector.
Unread 07-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #15
Shane1447

Also pins 1 and 7 on the black connector...

Tags
computer , diagram , ecm , pcm , pin

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.