Newbie with a question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newbie with a question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Dano98

Newbie with a question

I am new to the forum and jeep world. I just got a 1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L. When i was driving home after picking it up all the guages worked good. The drive is about 45 min. About 15 minutes from my house the temperature started to rise i turned on the heat in the jeep and it keep going back in forth. By time I got home and parked the jeep the needle was right above 260. The jeep didn't overheat.

I have searched the forum and read over a couple of items to replace. I have replaced the thermostat and the temp sensor. when I start it up and it starts to get warm the temp guage automatically goes to about 250. I am not sure what to check next.

Thanks,
Dan

Dano98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check the level and condition of your fluids.... any coolant loss? You said that temp gauge read high, but Jeep didn't over heat... I ssume you mean it didn't boil over? Did you feel hood to get an idea of how hot this Jeep got? Any other issues?
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Stryker777

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did you verify your fan is working correctly?

In GOD we trust. It's a Jesus thing.
Stryker777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
87YJBill
1987 YJ Wrangler 

make sure the radiator is not plugged, use an infared thermometer and check, also jeep has never been known for good consistent working gages.
87YJBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 04:34 AM   #5
Dano98

I have checked all the other fluids and everything is good. Correct it didn't boil over. I didn't feel the hood to see how hot it got. There are no othere issues.

The fan is working correctly. I stated before that it all was working fun for about 30 while i was driving then the guage started to read high.

The radiator is not clogged. It is a new radiator. I will get a infared thermometer and check the radiator.
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The first thing you need to determine is do you have an overheating issue, or just a faulty guage. Infrared will tell you this pretty quickly. I'm not a 2.5L guy, but when the radiator cap is removed (cold engine), can you see directly into the radiator to see the coolant? If yes, leave cap off, start engine and allow it to run until your thermostat opens...... watch for good coolant flow, you should be able to see movement in the coolant. If not, you may have a bad thermostat or the fins on the rear of the water pump maybe worn off. You stated that you just purchased this Jeep... then you stated it has a new radiator, this makes me wonder if prior owner wasn't having this issue and just never found the cause, or didn't like the cause he found.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 03:27 AM   #7
Dano98

I changes the thermostat and temp sensor. I started the jeep and within 5 minutes the temp guage was already reading 260. I let it idle for about 20 minutes then i took it for a 10 minute drive didn't not boil over and no steam like it was over heating. I have come to the conclusion that the guage is broken.
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:23 AM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

how did you come to this conclusion with out finding out the actual temperature of the cooling system?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
asbury
1995 YJ Wrangler 

there is a temp sensor and a temp switch on the 2.5s temp switch controls the gauge and is located on the cyl head drivers side back be side valve cover temp sensor is on thermostat housing
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Where was the temp sensor you changed?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
kennemore_m
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you really think your temp gauge is not working, try attaching an after market one. You can buy them Harbor Freight for about $10 and they are very easy to install. That would let you know for sure if it is a gauge problem.
kennemore_m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

How fast do changes in the needle happen? Does it gradually and evenly move up over the 5 minutes, or does it seem to all of a sudden accelerate?

Also, does it keep normal behavior when you turn the car off?

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.