newbie needs help 89 wrangler 4.2 misfires - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > newbie needs help 89 wrangler 4.2 misfires

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #16
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

now ready for the rebuild

Snicklfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #17
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

getting ready to put back on hope she starts right up
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #18
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

fired right up no problems at all
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #19
Duvalbulldog
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicklfritz View Post
fired right up no problems at all
Isn't that the best best thing in the world after all you went through with the frustration and aggravation and when you hear it fire up that since of relief. But as we all know the YJ's purpose in life is to make sure that we are never bored and continues to give us new challenges lol. As soon as we fix on thing one or more surface. I love my YJ.
Duvalbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #20
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ya i love when you fix something and it works perfect, but it was short lived. while i was dialing in the choke the idle started bouncing up and down, pulled air cleaner and was watching stepper motor, it was moving in and out. so i think it was trying to recover when i dropped the idle from fast idle maybe o2 sensor is starting to go bad what do you think.
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #21
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i think its that carb, ha ha ha. i am glad mine was swapped out before i got this jeep. i have not read a good thing about those carbs
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That looks like a carburetor spacer. It is designed to give you more horsepower through higher velocity air flow. This would not cause a miss even if it was leaking. You seal this spacer with gaskets, top and bottom. The miss is caused by your spark plugs being corroded. I say this, because you said you checked all of your wires and did what "dancytron" said. (The easiest way is to let the motor get up to temperature... meaning, hot water is felt through your upper radiator line because the thermostat just opened up. Then turn the engine off and pull one plug wire. Now start up the engine and see. Let it run for a little while. If it is the cylinder causing the miss, one of these "unplug wire tests" should make a major difference, unless you have drivetrain issues in multiple cylinders. In that case, a good vacuum test and a compression test should show it. If it doesn't, I would check electrical again.) Remember, the miss should be easier to detect at idle... the engine is making less noise, so you can hear it better. So after removing a wire and then starting the engine, let it run for a little while. Mainly to let the idle come back down.
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #23
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well i understand your point. but i found the problem, o2 sensor was what thy call lazy. so it would not react as fast as it was supposed to. it has never idled this good thank you to all responded

p.s. stock manifold no riser
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #24
Duvalbulldog
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thats cool I have an issue which I thought there was a as well but it's my bottom gasket on my weber. If you get a chance invest in one of these best power improvement especially with 3.07 gears can't wait to see what it's like with 4.10 gears.
Duvalbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am glad you found your problem.

Take care,
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.