newbie needs help 89 wrangler 4.2 misfires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > newbie needs help 89 wrangler 4.2 misfires

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

newbie needs help 89 wrangler 4.2 misfires

Let me start by saying i have been reading alot in this forum and this place seems pretty cool . so that being said now down to the dirty. i have a 89 yj with a carter bbd it is the 4.2 it has a very noticeable miss at all rpm i am aware of the nutter bypass but as i live no. cal i am unable to have this done "smog reasons" i am also not sure that it would solve this problem i have tested the coil it is fine no vacuum leaks and the up and down stream air tubes are in working order. i would like to test the ignition control mod con any one post a wiring diagram for this it would help alot, or if someone has any idea where else i should check please help thank you.

Snicklfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
AmmitOsiris
JACK WAGON

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check compression of all your cylinders start there and while your at it change or check the plugs and wires to mae sure they're good.
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

its all brand new have not done compression but its been to alot of shops to just have bad copression
Unread 11-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Please help
Unread 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pull off the spark plug wires one at a time and see if any one of them doesn't change the way it runs. Obviously, shut the engine off before you touch the wires. The one that doesn't change the way the engine runs is bad, either compression or bad spark plug or wire or something.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm of all the stuff that has to work for the computerized system to work.

Team Rush upgrade might help, it is just a tuneup with better parts.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

made no difference on any of the plug wires. also dancytron i looked at the link and my jeep is in a rich condition, the stepper motor works as does the o2 sensor. also on the link and in the forum it says to drill out the two tubes that go to the ventures, i was watching them and one drips one does not, so pulled them. they both were really clean i am going to rebuild the carb and drill them out. also it has ngk plugs that were new, but were gaped at .40 thou not .35 does anyone think that this would make it misfire. the plugs look really sooty, i think i am goin to chang to champion as this is the plug it came with from factory. any opinions would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your time

Last edited by Snicklfritz; 11-01-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think it's probably your carb. Update to fuel injection from a newer Cherokee, wouldn't that be legal for you?

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Duvalbulldog
1989 YJ Wrangler 

try spraying some carb choke cleaner around your intake focusing on the base of your carb. Go around it and listen for it to die almost choke out. I have just dealt with that thinking it was a miss fire when I was pulling from a bad carb base plate gasket.
Duvalbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

These engines like the plain Autolite plugs, stay away from the fancy sparkplugs.

Gap to .035

Add a dedicated ground to your ignition system. Easiest way is to tap into the black wire coming out of the distributor. This wire is the only ground for both your ignition module and the coil. It normally grounds via a screw in the distributor, then to the dizzy hold down clamp, then the block. Not a good ground path for such a critical electronic component.
Unread 11-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If your 4.2L has had the Team Rush mod (the Ford cap/rotor) done to it then .040 would be the gap to have. If you are still running the stock dizzy cap/rotor then .035, like Old4X said. But if you are still running the stock cap/rotor, do the Team Rush upgrade with the coil. Makes a difference.

Are you using a diagnostic reader to determine the function of the stepper motor?
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

to all who responded let me start by saying it has not had anything done, bone stock original, i have sprayed down the base gasket and the vacuum lines to no avail. i am going to rebuild carb and put new plugs in it then i will add a ground from distributor to block. will let you know what out come is. i did not use d reader to see the function of stepper, i made a lean condition and then a rich condition, and watched it move. you can see it, it is in middle sometimes, but for the most of the time it is all the way forward.
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
Duvalbulldog
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry it didn't help good luck.
Duvalbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i appreciate it Duvalbulldog all input is help thank you
Unread 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

so i know it is not the only problem. but found this today, what do you think. big difference, now on to the carb rebuild!!!!! one on left is ngk one on right is champion both for same model
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
Snicklfritz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

this was in between my gasket and base i think it was leaking

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.