Newbie Need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newbie Need help!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Beachjeep94
1994 LJ Wrangler 

Newbie Need help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help! I took my 1994 5 speed Wrangler to the beach and she quit. Earlier this week I got a new starter and everything working fine. Drove on the beach no problem. After dark went to get gas, to the ABC store, and 2 other stops it was about 80 degrees. I was leavin' the Food Lion and it just quit, no bad noise just stopped. It would turn over but would not catch. Could not push start either. Several people offered advice: a bad autoshut off relay, one guy pulled the coil wire no spark, sprayed starter fluid in air intake . . . nothing. Starter is spinning the engine over but won't run. Another person suggested the crankshaft position sensor ???
I have limited funds so I have to hit this is first time. Anyone that can offer any suggestions please HELP!!!

Thank You! in advance. :-)

Beachjeep94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check for codes.

http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index....k_Engine_Codes

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Assuming the guy that said no spark was correct, that would be your issue. Why no spark, you need to diagnose. Crank Position sensor going bad would cause a no-spark situation. So would a bad coil.

You can check the fuel pressure easily enough via the schrader valve behind the throttle body.
You can have a buddy turn the key from OFF to RUN (not crank), and put your finger on the Auto Shut-down Relay (ASD). In run, it should click on for about 2 seconds, then click off. In crank it should click on and stay on but you won't be able to tell because the engine is rocking. FYI, Auto Shutdown supplies power to the fuel pump and the coil.
It's not easy to test the coil or crank sensor. You need special tools, like noid lights and digital multimeters. Do you have these tools?
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A easy test for the CPS is to disconnect the wire for about a minute then reconnect it. If she starts the CPS is bad.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine did something pretty much like what you are describing when I first bought it. It turned out to be some slight corrosion in the PDC by the battery. So I pulled all the fuses and relays one by one and cleaned them up with a small brass bristled brush, and put them back in, and have had no issues since. Also cleaned the battery posts as well. Cheap fix. Hope it helps.
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.