Newbie with lot's of questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newbie with lot's of questions

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Reply
Unread 06-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
mikesmiph
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Flushing, Michigan
Posts: 7
Newbie with lot's of questions

I am a first time Jeep owner, and I have a ton of questions. This seems like the place to ask them. I purchased a 1989 YJ Wrangler. It has a hard top on it. First thing I did was put tires on it. Then a new Weber carb. I just got a Bestop bikini top for it. The hard top came off yesterday, bikini on today. I have several more things I want to do, but not sure which order to do them in. My drivers seat leans back and to the left, making it very uncomfortable to drive. I'm not sure how to figure out what to replace. Is it the mount, or the seat? Should I just replace both? I also need new shocks. I don't plan to lift it, just want a little better ride. My mirrors are tiny and mount to the doors, I would like to replace these.I want to put in seat belts in the rear, I have to 9 yr old grandsons who really want a ride. I guess that is a good start. I'm sure I'll have many more questions and projects. Thanks for any help.

jeep.jpg  
mikesmiph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
mike134
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,978
Welcome to Jeep Forum!

If your grandson will be riding in it a lot, some people recommend upgrading the old "sport bar" to the 92+ "family bar". It extends the roll cage over the rear passenger seat and offers more roll over protection in the back and has a shoulder strap seatbelt harness. For on road driving, the front seat is probably safer than the rear in these vehicles because there is the shoulder harness and no airbags.

As far as ride comfort goes, before buying new shocks, I'd recommend removing the trac bars if your local government allows it, loosening everything in your current suspension, greasing all moving parts and leaf springs, cycling the suspension by driving around the yard (or jacking up and down or jumping up and down on the bumpers if you have a big beer belly), then tightening everything back to specifications. This can often help in the old rusty jeeps that weren't used enough. After you do this, re-evaluate the ride comfort and go from there.

Next, take the doors off, its summer!
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,227
Call and speak with Chris. He has everything you need, is local and has a ton of knowledge.


Tell him Darryl and John sent you.
http://www.cfoffroad.com/index.html
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
Mywrangler94
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 513
Welcome to the Jeepin world Mike. You will find that the wealth of knowledge found here, in its members, is PRICELESS. They are a great bunch of guys, who are kind, helpful, sometimes sarcastic, but always, always, honest. You got the bug, theres no cure, don't fight it, and when you get disgusted, just put the top down and take a ride.....you'll immediately remember why you love your Jeep.......
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
chicalibro3
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Concord, CA - California
Posts: 484
Welcome aboard! There is a thread on here that will tell you what seats you can pull from a junkyard that will drop in. That could help you take care of the seat problem. YJs can be a little tough to ride for an extended period of time, and these swaps can make the driving experience a bit better.
chicalibro3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywrangler94 View Post
Welcome to the Jeepin world Mike. You will find that the wealth of knowledge found here, in its members, is PRICELESS. They are a great bunch of guys, who are kind, helpful, sometimes sarcastic, but always, always, honest........
Who me ?
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Jeepsr4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,239
Looks like rust is about to eat the thing up... hope the frame is in better shape.. But I doubt it.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
mikesmiph
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Flushing, Michigan
Posts: 7
It's lived 25 years in Michigan. I have a little rust too. LOL
mikesmiph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #9
Jeepsr4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,239
Well dont be so prideful about it.... Check your frame to make sure its not about to rot out from under it..
saw a 2000 yesterday with rust so bad that the skid plate dropped out when I touched it and the rear control arm was just hanging in the air..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Desert, Nv
Posts: 2,646
Check your floor to see if that's why seat is messed up.

Also check your rear springs. The rear axle looks out of alignment. Hard to tell from the pic.

Shocks won't change the ride much. My factory springs were perfect. Not even sagging, but they were kinda stiff.
I installed a small lift with softer springs. Ahhh. Much better.
Jeep parts should be plentyful and cheap there.
Maybe install the newer family style roll bar. It has shoulder belts too.

Search the forum. There are a bunch of threads about changing out the small mirrors.
I installed mirrors from a CJ. They are bigger and mount to the windshield. It's a desert here so I run no doors all summer.

I would also consider adding an extra trans cooler in front of the radiator. Cool fluid makes for a long lasting automatic.
I got this kit http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automot.../dp/B000C3BBKS
Only took about 30 mins to install.
It's a really solid trans, but the fluid needs to be clean and cool. Also consider a fluid and filter change for the trans.
And while I'm spending your money,
Maybe check and replace ALL the fluids. Axles, trans, transfer case, brake fluid, and coolant.
__________________
What happens in my Jeep, stays in my Jeep
Chrisnvegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #11
mike134
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Check your floor to see if that's why seat is messed up.

Also check your rear springs. The rear axle looks out of alignment. Hard to tell from the pic.

Shocks won't change the ride much. My factory springs were perfect. Not even sagging, but they were kinda stiff.
I installed a small lift with softer springs. Ahhh. Much better.
Jeep parts should be plentyful and cheap there.
Maybe install the newer family style roll bar. It has shoulder belts too.

Search the forum. There are a bunch of threads about changing out the small mirrors.
I installed mirrors from a CJ. They are bigger and mount to the windshield. It's a desert here so I run no doors all summer.

I would also consider adding an extra trans cooler in front of the radiator. Cool fluid makes for a long lasting automatic.
I got this kit http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automot.../dp/B000C3BBKS
Only took about 30 mins to install.
It's a really solid trans, but the fluid needs to be clean and cool. Also consider a fluid and filter change for the trans.
And while I'm spending your money,
Maybe check and replace ALL the fluids. Axles, trans, transfer case, brake fluid, and coolant.

Maybe not as important in Michigan though?
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #12
dancytron
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: st. louis
Posts: 1,631
Totally agree on taking off the trackbars and greasing everything up.

Have you done a regular tuneup yet? Be aware, you can use better Ford Parts for the same cost (the ignition is from Ford anyway). If you've already done a tuneup, don't worry about it for now. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...nitive-669495/ Use regular cheap copper spark plugs. People on the board seem to like Champions, but mine are autolites and work fine.

Did you do the Nutter bypass when you changed the carb? If not, you should.

Start the never ending battle against rust. Assuming all you have is surface rust, I'd start with cleaning the inside of the frame and then using 3 cans of this to paint the inside of the frame with anti-rust stuff. http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...nozzle-qt.html Then, paint ever single rusty exposed surface with some kind of rust reformer. If it is worse than surface rust, then there are lots of threads on what to do.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Desert, Nv
Posts: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
Maybe not as important in Michigan though?
The trans cooler? You mean it isn't 100+ everywhere?
Think of it as preparation for global warming.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
Totally agree on taking off the trackbars and greasing everything up.

Have you done a regular tuneup yet? Be aware, you can use better Ford Parts for the same cost (the ignition is from Ford anyway). If you've already done a tuneup, don't worry about it for now. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...nitive-669495/ Use regular cheap copper spark plugs. People on the board seem to like Champions, but mine are autolites and work fine.

Did you do the Nutter bypass when you changed the carb? If not, you should.

Start the never ending battle against rust. Assuming all you have is surface rust, I'd start with cleaning the inside of the frame and then using 3 cans of this to paint the inside of the frame with anti-rust stuff. http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...nozzle-qt.html Then, paint ever single rusty exposed surface with some kind of rust reformer. If it is worse than surface rust, then there are lots of threads on what to do.
I know it isn't something you may ever need, but if it's running good, why nutter?
If you nutter, you also lose the high elevation wire. It's a wire on the firewall that when grounded, adjusts the carb, (and possibly the timing) for high elevation. On my late 80's CJ I had it on a switch. Over 4000 feet, flip the switch. Really helped up tp 10,000' plus.

Does nutter affect passing emissions?
__________________
What happens in my Jeep, stays in my Jeep
Chrisnvegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #14
JMark
Member
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: new york
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Looks like rust is about to eat the thing up... hope the frame is in better shape.. But I doubt it.

This ^

We disassembled my 88 last year for a ground up restoration, and found some pretty bad frame rust. Required a good bit of welding to rebuild. I would worry about structural issues before cosmetic.

Agree about the rear axle - looks odd.

Also agree re shocks - replacing shocks won't improve your ride much, if at all. Better springs (with better shocks) will. A full OME suspension made a huge difference in the ride of mine.

Personally, I prefer the sport bar, but that's a judgment call.

And yeah, I'd ditch those doors. Get a Bestop Supertop with full soft doors. They weigh nothing and pop on and off in mere seconds. Top goes up and down easily.

Enjoy the truck, they're a blast and kids love them.

Mark
JMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #15
Jeepsr4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,239
Good eye on the rear axle...
Looks like a FUN as in no fun fixer upper.

money better spent buying a non rust belt jeep...
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.