newbie looking for info on wrangler styles... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > newbie looking for info on wrangler styles...

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-14-2002, 02:03 PM   #1
blamejane

newbie looking for info on wrangler styles...

I can't wait to purchase a jeep (my first)...

Can someone give me the link to a place where I can read about the differences in the various wrangler (YJ) styles? Hopefully with information and pictures, but I'll take what I can get.

Sahara, Olympic, Islander, Renegade, Laredo...

thanks

blamejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2002, 03:00 PM   #2
rlasker3

I wouldn't worry about the different models. As far as I know they are only different option packages. Just concern yourself with getting the specific engine you want and whether you want a hard or soft top (or both). From there you need to determine what you want to do with this vehicle. Are you going to go off-road? If so how much? If not, then don't bother with big over-sized wheels as they'll only drag down your gas mileage and make the ride rougher.

The great thing about Jeeps are that they are easy to customize to your liking so looking for a specific model type will only needlessly limit yourself in your selection.

Just find a good deal that at least has the basic features that you want and then customize from there.

Good luck.
rlasker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2002, 03:23 PM   #3
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have never heard of the Olympic model but the only difference in appearence of the models is the Renegade of the early 90s Wranglers. It has a different trim package than the other Wranglers. There really aren't any major differences in the other models, the only other thiing you really need to concern yourself with is what engine the Jeep has. From 87-90 the Wrangler came with the carburated straight six 4.2L and from 91 to present it came with the fuel injected 4.0L straight six. It also came with a 4 cylinder engine that is mainly the same from 87 to present with slight changes. Good luck with fiding a Jeep, I know you will love it.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2002, 03:24 PM   #4
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

87-89 4cyl had 2.5 engines putting out 105hp and the 6 4.2 put out 112hp. 90-95 they upped the 4 2.5 to 120hp and changed the 6 to a 4.0 putting out 180 and in 91-95' up to 190hp. In 90 all Jeeps became fuel injected. Before then only 2.5's were fuel injected.
Somewhere halfway through 89' they changed the tranny's on the 6 to AX-15's and doing away with the junky peugout trannys. I THINK they had the AX-5 from 87-95 but I could be wrong. I know they had it after 90 tho.
In 92'they changed to full cage roll bars. And only 87' has a weird soft top set up that can be hard to get a replacement as compared to 88-95.
Also in 92' they changed the dash guages to newer styles and got rid of the clock. As for the editions like you mentioned. They are just options packages and decal sets. My fav year is 91' cuz it has a good engine fuel injected and I like the old style roll bar.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.