Newbie Jeep owner w/ a newbie Jeep question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newbie Jeep owner w/ a newbie Jeep question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Closed Thread
Unread 02-27-2005, 07:56 PM   #1
bigjim72

Newbie Jeep owner w/ a newbie Jeep question

Im a 32 year old father of 2 who just purchased his first jeep, with his main intentions on being very little everyday driving, and a lot of extra curricular driving with his sons for some fun. Since this will not be my primary vehicle, I have some leeway to have things done to it....

So, I just got a 97 Wrangler with a 6 inch lift and 33 inch swampers....Im totally thrilled with this monster, and the only thing Im not cool with is the steering. It has tons of play in it, and when Im driving, I sometimes feel like I have to jerk it to have it respond. I had kind of assumed that this was just the nature of the beast with owning a jeep, and I was going to have to live with it. However, I did notice that in 4x4 high, it drives a thousand percent better....Seeing as this is my first jeep, it struck me as wondering if it was OK to ALWAYS drive in this mode, or if it would destroy something. Also, if its cool, can I assume it will consume considerably more gas?

Thanks in advance for the help, and although I just found this board a few weeks ago, it did help me enough already to buy my first jeep, so for that I thank you!!

bigjim

bigjim72 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
chopperkid2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome : Well w/ a 6 " lift that is to be expected as the drag link is now push pull rather than left right. But 4w high being better ? puzzling . Nah should really not make it drink more gas !!!Nor should it destroy anything - just make front gears and t case insides wear faster !!! To fix the steering there is high steer kits out there but they cost alot of money most peeps, just deal w/ it
chopperkid2000 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Silver yj

You can't drive in 4 hi all the time or you will burn it up. As far as the loose steering check the tie rods, bearings, ball joints, steering wheel shaft to P/S box
Silver yj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Medieval2006
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, ditto - driving in 4 hi will burn it up - and it will suck more gas than 2 wd.
Id put a bit of time and $$ into solving the problem instead of trying to cover up the symptom. Like most things with vehicles, it's probably only going ot get worse with time.
Unread 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Need pics of the steering.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

+1 on burning more gas in 4X4 and when you are in 4X4 your front wheels HAVE to turn at the same rate as your rear wheels which will cause binding and extremely accelerated wear and tear on the system if you drive in 4 wheel drive on a paved road.

When you're on a dirt road or ice it's not a big deal because the wheels can easilly spin at different rates, but there is too much traction on a paved road.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not that we are not here to help, but you also might try the TJ section, it is a '97??
X2 on the pics and checking for loose components!
Happy Wheelin'

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

97 is a TJ so you technically posted this in the wrong forum. The steering on them is basically the same though, so in that respect I guess it really doesn't matter.

In a TJ, I doubt there is a considerable difference in mileage b/n 2WD and 4HI. The only difference in a TJ is the transfer case will actually be engaged.
Unread 08-21-2009, 02:56 AM   #9
latinheat
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Try getting a steering damper ( stabilizer) and check your tie rods and make sure u grease ur fittings too.. doesn't hurt to get an alignment either.
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
asf06
1993 YJ Wrangler 

do you have a track bar? not that you need one if you are gonna be driving off road all the time, but my jeep is my dd so i use the track bar. it makes the steering less jerky, i guess because it keeps the wheels from undulating.

x2 on the hy-steer. Max will set you up with that
x2 on posting in the TJ section
It can't be a scam. There's pictures of Asian people in business suits pointing at charts and graphs.
PIKE Jeepers #1
Jeep Smokeless #4
asf06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asf06 View Post
do you have a track bar? not that you need one if you are gonna be driving off road all the time, but my jeep is my dd so i use the track bar. it makes the steering less jerky, i guess because it keeps the wheels from undulating.

x2 on the hy-steer. Max will set you up with that
x2 on posting in the TJ section
The OP has a TJ, which does REQUIRE the track bar to be installed at ALL times. Those TJ guys don't have the same options we do.

There are several options for steering arrangements. There is "crossover" steering like the JB4X4 type that move the drag link up, but not the tie rod. Then there is "high steer" like the Rocky Road OTT steering kit which has brackets that attach to the OE knuckle & move the drag link & tie rod up as well. The other & most expensive alternative would be to replace the knuckles with high steer units like the ones from Reid Racing.

I know all this exists for the YJ models, and to the best of my knowledge they are also available for the TJ's as well.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

With this fella being a TJ guy, and his LAST visit on this BB being June 6, 2006 I highly doubt we'll be offering much help.
Joe Dillard is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
Peltboy25
2001 TJ Wrangler 

let's not forget safety, as you're hauling kids in that beast. Steering is a fickle *****, and one second you're fine... the next, you can't find the "spot" to hold the wheel and you end up oversteering to find it. That's when the rolling starts. You have to get that steering checked and fixed for the sake of your boys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.