newbie form pa with a crazy coolant leak!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > newbie form pa with a crazy coolant leak!!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #16
DonCisco91
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I read these cracks are more common on boat engines..
I kinda don't want to sell the Jeep though so i hope I can get it fixed...

DonCisco91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #17
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

engine swap! try car-part.com and search for a local yard with an engine they are pretty cheap and abundant in my area. this is the easiest vehicle in my opinion to replace the engine
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #18
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can get it fixed that will last the rest of the life time of the engine. You just have to find the right shop to get it done in. That is what is called a foundry crack. In today's world there are not many of the old guys that can do this type of work. But check in a diesel mechanical shop where they work on semis they might know of someone who still does this type of repairs. Or check with a restorer of old cars, pre1960's, they might should know too. For some of their work would be on engines that can not be found any more that need the casting work done to then.

That is on of the old arts that has been almost lost now days. But there are a few out there that can fix it just takes sometime to find them.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #19
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

if you end up getting it welded look for a compitant shop by asking on this forum

460 Ford Forum - Powered by vBulletin

there will likely be a guy on there who will know of a shop near you.
They usually V out the crack and sometimes have to furnace heat the block then braze.

I had a shop in Toledo fix a small crack in my lifter gallery, they stick welded it. Some day Ill pull off my intake but I prefer living in denial
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #20
DonCisco91
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Cool, thanx for the suggestions. I guess i would have to price out what it would cost to get welded or if its better to do a swap.
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
matko25

go to a dirtbike shop and say you broke your case and you want this epoxy stuff by moose. my friend used it to fix his case and it actually has metal in it. it is made by moose racing i would say that would work
matko25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Metal Stitching is not that expensive, though it is involved. In effect the crack is drilled out and pins are drilled into the crack to replace the metal lost in drilling. Metal Stitching

I'd be cautious about troweling anything inside the block but "Stop Leak" of some sort should be effective on a hairline crack like that, IMO.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
matko25

Moose Racing 2010 it is called quick steel epoxy and is safe to use on steel and aluminum
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #24
matko25

actually just google quick steel epoxy and it gives you a ton of them and to apply them. i would try that first
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #25
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

use JB Weld to fix it, I fixed a crack in a block with that and it holds to this day, and it was way more ugly than that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #26
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I fixed a crack in my case on my CRF450R dirtbike with some JB weld. It threw the chain and cracked the case. It wasn't 100% but it was damn close. And it worked for over 2 years before I sold it. As far as I know it still is holding up.
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #27
DonCisco91
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That jb weld stuff seems to do wonders. It may work even better if i can seal the crack from the inside by taking the water pump off. I will for sure try that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.