newbie with death wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > newbie with death wobble

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 01-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
spearce2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

newbie with death wobble

hey guys good to be here.
this is the deal. ive justed picked up my 5th jeep from a close friend and it has some pretty serious issues with the suspension or running gear or both.
here is what i know. the front has a soa and after market springs and shackles. the rear has after market springs and shackles also. there is also a 3" body lift. im not sure how much lift i have but he had 38x12.5x15 swampers on it at one time and they did scrub but not much.
anyway it has 33's on it now and ive just pruchased 36's but have not installed them yet.
the problem is i have horrible death wobble when i hit a bump in the road. the first thing i noticed was one of the swaybar connectors was broken.
i replaced both with new disconnects and that hepled but not much. after crawling under this thing ive realized that both the front and rear trac bars are gone. also i jacked the rear up and i have 1/2 slack in the rear axle. i litterally can push and pull the rear tire back and forth from side to side. the front and rear axles do have lockers with 456 gears. im not new to jeeps but i am new to lifted jeeps.
from what ive been reading it seems that people dissagree on swaybars and tracbars and needing them at all. i just dont know where to start. do i put tracbars on if there not needed? is the axle slac contributing to the wobble?
i guess i just need some guidance. any help would be great. and if ive left out some needed info,please ask.
thanks guys. (sorry for being long winded)

spearce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

May want to post up some pic's of the draglink.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
spearce2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

whats the draglink? sorry
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The long rod coming off the steering box.
alignment01.jpg  
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

when you say you can move your rear tire side to side... where is it moving... the axle shaft in and out or the entire axle or what. Track bars are not needed at all even soa and are very counter productive to any lift. The leaf springs keep everything in line. If your soa do you have over the top steering or are you running the stock steering setup. Im thinking your experiencing bump steer and not death wobble.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Bushings, tie-rod ends, ball joints, and alignment. There really isn't much going on in a yj to chase down death wobble. Find out what it worn out, loose, or broken and fix it.

Btw, I witnessed death wobble for the first time last week. Thankfully it was on a lifted Cherokee I saw driving the other direction on a divided highway. OMG it looked horrifying! I initially thought they had 2 flat front tires, then realized as he was working his way to the shoulder that his tires were going nearly lock to lock rapidly. Once he got it under control he just drove on. I can't imagine he knows how bad it looked from the outside. I would have called a tow truck and been working to fix it before I drove anywhere else. Lol
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
spearce2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i will try and post some pics later. i am running the factory steering set up and on the axle question. i can pull and push the axle in and out of the axle housing. side of jeep to side of jeep not front to back.
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Your soa with stock steering? I hope not...
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The drag link should be very close to parallel with the axle. If it is at an angle from the lift, that is a problem. Special pitman arms are available.

I am of the opinion that track bars can be of help (think about it, it's an expensive component, and the engineers got it past the bean counters), particularly if aftermarket stuff has introduced flex. However, a track bar must be also nearly parallel to the ground, otherwise it will do more harm than good.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
The drag link should be very close to parallel with the axle. If it is at an angle from the lift, that is a problem. Special pitman arms are available.

a SOA needs an Over The Top modification to the steering to control bump steer (In my opinion the OP isnt experiencing death wobble but bump steer)
I am of the opinion that track bars can be of help (think about it, it's an expensive component, and the engineers got it past the bean counters), particularly if aftermarket stuff has introduced flex. However, a track bar must be also nearly parallel to the ground, otherwise it will do more harm than good.
not on a leaf sprung vehicle.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
spearce2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok guys here is some pics i hope these help.
jeep-009.jpg   jeep-010.jpg   jeep-011.jpg  
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
spearce2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

damn the pics are HUGE sorry
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Im confused the pictures you posted aren't soa???
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
spearce2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

your confused and im a moron. i dont think i could feel more stupid.....well aparantley i dont have soa. im speechless. can we move on
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You have a shackle reversal on the front.
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.